I used fall winter starter fert whoops now what??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nemow, Jun 4, 2008.

1. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the northeast. I bought fall and winter starter fert by mistake and left it with my guys. Should have looked at the bag before the guy at the store threw it in the truck(or when I took it out). Now what? Its pellets and I am guessing it is slow release? I dont do fert if you can't guess that. I was thinking of calling a fert company to hit it with the magic starter fert they use. Should I wait and cross my fingers or just hand it over to the real fert pros? Should I just explain to the fert guy what I did and should I ask him for anything special? I have seen some of the work he does and his guys do a crap job of lawn prep but he has some magic stuff that makes grass grow no matter what. Any help would be great, Thanks in advance!

2. nemow

PS. Its a two small areas that I tilled loamed and seeded. How do I get in touch with a mod to mover this thread to the fert section?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok...What is the analysis on the stuff you have right now?

4. nemow

Proscape
    12-25-12

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I think 12% slow release is still 12% slow release whether it is fall or spring. There is no magic number for general fertilizers. I would be surprised if your soils required that much P any time of the year.

There is one thing that makes grass grow like magic no matter what - And that is - consistant adequate moisture.

Don't sweat it. Most ferts are a waste of money anyways because they are leached away with over watering or evaporated b4 they are used. That is true of N anyways. P doesn't go anywhere it just gets locked up in the soil and needs a mechanism to free it up as food for the plants.

Winterizer labels, Starter labels, Spring and Summer labels are just labels. They really mean nothing when you are feeding turf. Just give it what it needs when it needs it.

6. nemow

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it was just a label to sell a product. Thats why I came here to ask. Thank.