1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I used it

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, May 9, 2003.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

A plow today and it worked great. Here is my question? I hav pulled 1" pipe now I'm ready for the tees and heads, what are you guys using to do this with? Thanks fer any help.
  2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Trenching shovel for heads on poly lines (we're using the blazing saddle), reg digging shovel for T's and valves and maybe a spade to cut nice turf where you gotta dig with a reg shovel.

**TIP** When digging larger holes and using a spade to cut the sod flap to peel back, only cut 3 sides and flip it back. No alignment problems and easier to establish grade on the fill. Cut sod like a thin crusty pizza not a big old chunk of cake, relatively speaking. Make sure edges of the back filled area are crisp and clean of soil. Backfill can be slightly elevated in center. This way when you flip the patch back in you can have neat edges just like laying carpet or od the first time. Hit it with a hand tamper for final settlement and the sight hump goes down and edges are tight.
  3. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

like Harold said except, i try to get a thick piece of sod so as not to disturb to many roots......seems to help get the sod re-established better
  4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a box of glue on saddles today. I like the way it works but I hope they want come back to haunt me.
  5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

The concept is of the glue on saddle is OK for some things but not for this. You gotta bore a hole and can only mount them vertically unless you dig a big hole to enter on the side. Side mounts are better becasue that is the way a swing jopint or swing pipe assy should be mounted. Better yet, Blazing saddles come for PVC pipe in addition to poly and are easy to install horizontally.

Other thing is plastic burrs getting into the pipe and going down stream to be flushed out can be messy.
  6. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry I've off for a while, had more installs than I knew what to do with.

I've used both , the glue on and the Blazing Saddles for PVC. I don't think the glue on fittings are going to give you any problems. The ones I used snap on also. The Blazing Saddle fittings just don't seem as sturdy and I know some of you will disagree, but are a breeze to install. If installed properly, that glue on saddle with be there for years. Remember, these were installed on laterals and will not be under constant pressure. The sales rep at Tom King Harmony Products told me generally the Blazing Saddles were installed vertically or on top of the pipe. I agree with Harold that it's easier to inslall heads if you install the fitting on the side. Also, to get all those plastic burs out, you have to remove the flush caps that come with sprays. Flushing laterals with rotors requires even more effort.

I've gone back to more trenching than pulling. On the smaller residentials, you can't make the turns like you can with poly in the smaller areas. If you are serious about pulling, I think you should consider poly pipe. Poly isn't available in my area let alone the fittings.