1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I used to think that rocks were the worst things to hit ...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Aug 23, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

... until I almost ran over a 12 guage shotgun shell in a customer's back yard today! That might make for a bad day. :(

If any of ya'll have a customer where there's a good ol' boy there, make sure that you watch the yard, especially when he's doing work on his truck!
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Its all fun n' mpowing til someone shhots an eye out! :eek:

Its things like this that make our job detrimental to ones health. Sheez, talk about just trying to make a buck and almost buyin' the farm in the process. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear all turned out well. :D

3. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

You never know what you may find lying around in a yard. That would have freaked me out. Was is it atleast an empty shell??:eek:
  4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

No no. It was unfired. I think it was bird shot but I could be wrong. I didn't exactly take time to examine it.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

out here in the country that could happen easy .
    realy wouldnt be a big deal.shell just fell out of a hunting jacket,
    probably wouldnt even go off if you hit it,but if it did ,a shell needs the chamber to generate the danger. bout like a big firecracker. of course any object thrown out by the blade is dangerous.later now tm
  6. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I've heard stories around here of a guy who mows the gun club's trap shooting area. He has hit at least one unfired shell and it did go off. You talk about getting the crap scared out of you.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I hit a 16 lb. sledge hammer head laying in an over grown lawn that I cut since this guys mower was broke down. :(
  8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

In the past we used to clear a lot of overgrown blocks,so you tend to hit some wierd things.

* Outside toilet
    * Another tractor hidden in the long growth
    * Beehives
    * Various animals including a litter of kittens (hair teeth and eyeballs everywhere:) )
    * Various car parts,furniture,aquariums even a toilet bowl.

No damage to slasher so far.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Hit a hammer once. One hell of a bang.
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

JLC okay so the man had to change his drawers.probably needed to anyway.:D