1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I wanna be a WEATHER MAN in my next life

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe in my next life I can really have one! Geez, Dana and Tony pushed another storm of the mountain at me that wasn't supposed to happen. A 20% chance YESTERDAY turns into lightning and thunder today. I really wanted to get some things done so I could obey the domestic engineer and do a family weekend. Oh, well, I guess it will all still be there Tuesday, right? If it ain't, then I'll just be a little bit more broke but almost caught up. Finally got busy with the kids back in school and it won't quit making mud. I live in Kansas! Where is my drought? Where are those unbearable 100+ degree 120+ heat index days?

I know, I would be griping about heat exhaustion, etc. if they showed up. What ever is wrong with the weather affects weathermen and baseball players. I used to say "weathermen and baseball players, bat .300 and your golden". Crap, here lately, if they are anywhere near the KC metro, they don't have to average .250. Predicting the weather or playing for the Royals.

Rant over, I'm going to stand outside, watch the light show and hope those are controllers getting zapped.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Do you see any particular solid-state controllers outperforming others in resisting the electrical damage from thunderstorms?
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

It rained for the first time in 3 months two days ago here.
  4. bicmudpuppy

I'm not sure I have the right kind of info to answer that. I can go the other way........I used to see a LOT of the Nelson controllers, but they are getting scarce now. The ICC seems to be a lightning magnet. The old WM Mark series were real common for electrical damage. I don't see as many ESP's as one would think. I have yet to replace a Rain Dial because of lightning, but I have heard of them being hit. I haven't installed enough kwik dials myself, and I'm the only one in this area using that clock, but I haven't had one of those hit yet either. I think installation and location are more a factor than anything. My Wal-Mart building is on it's fourth controller, and with the remodel, it will get a new one. I'm betting the old ICC w/ 44 stations is toast though, because after I shut everything down for the construction, they got hit AGAIN and lost cash registers, etc.

I see more field side lightning damage on single strand wire than multi, but that may be due to the fact that larger systems w/ longer runs of wire tend to use larger single strand wire.

ESP's and ICC's are the bread and butter around here and the ESP wins from what I see. Anyone else?
  5. I'll stop sending storms your way if you invite me to hunt something this year ;)

Pheasant, HUGE Kansas Whitetails, even doves for cryin out loud...of course, I won't be able to afford the friggin gas will I?

As for the lightning....ever install those 6' ground rods and ground the controllers to them and do it the right way? (BTW, I don't know what the exact right way is!)
    I bet you could make some money doing "lightning protection" in the slow times...just a thought.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Funny, the old electromechanical controllers that shrugged off most line surges were rarely grounded.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Weather man-the only job you have to be right 50% of time, close 25% and dead wrong 25% and still get 100% salary...
  8. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

...and be a local television commercial "Star" while owning a travel agency.

9. bicmudpuppy

hmmm, if I thought you could actually stop this rain and give me my drought, I'd consider going into hock w/ the in-laws and trying to organize a pheasant hunt down SW Kansas way. You might even have the shorter drive.........
    Moot point anyway, you'd have to keep the flood there and you don't want that :)