I wanna join in the fun!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smp0723, Feb 23, 2008.

1. smp0723

smp0723 LawnSite Member

My husband has a successful lawn care company and is a solo operator (has been in business for 11 yrs). I am looking for ideas to expand his business so that I can give up my full time job and work for him. Other than the obvious, taking on more customers to help him mow, what suggestions to you have for the "extras" that are good income to make up for my $40k+ annual income. I just need a change and he is all for it...I'm just nervous about giving up the stability of my corporate job.

The services we already provide are weekly lawn mowing, aeration, dethatching, hedge trimming and mulch placement. Keep in mind I don't know anything about plants so that could be a future thought if I go to school during the winter, but I need ideas for this season which starts in about 4 weeks.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I would not recommend you jump into the field on a whim without a real plan. Your husband already has his hands full trying to maintain the business full time and keep the customers happy while growing in a healthy manner (i guess but don't know that for sure)

Your best bet would be to take some horticulture classes at OCC or whatever Community college is near you and get a good feel for what you may want to do in this field.

My wife will go outside and hang with me a little but when it is 100+ degrees and humidity she doesn't like it anymore and if she had to be out there because it what the job, I don't know if we would make it.

Anyway, I would keep your job through this year and develop a business plan that includes you starting a new side of the business that you want to do but at this point you don't even know what you want to do so don't give up 40K + benefits for the end of the rainbow just yet.

Good luck.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Low voltage lighting. You design he installs.

4. JLAWNCARE

JLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

my wife left her job to run my office she does a great job. but come winter we miss the income she had coming in .also were slow in winter not much for her to do

5. Fishhd

Fishhd LawnSite Member

OK so your from my neck of the woods. Here's the deal, my wife wants me to get a Job and get out, but I am to old to get a good job. Can I take your job and you take my customers?:laugh:

20cuts x $20. = $400. 40,000 % $400= 100 lawns. Not trying to be neg. but that's alot of lawns.:dizzy:

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would think twice about that move:waving:

7. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Hello,
    What aspect will you be "Expanding" his business (in the field working with him or Office only). When you say "Expand" do you mean growing his Lawn clients or wanting to expand services to his exsisting clients. If you want to expand services you can look at Sealcoating driveways and pressure washing siding..landscape lighting ...ect. Yes do learn or goto school, like said above.
    But don't end your employment and then try to recreate the income, build the worth first and then quit. If your a widow in the summer then he has a full slate, he will have to hire a helper.

8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Fishhd, I tried to PM you but couldn't, can you send me a PM?
    Thanks.
    Matt.

9. Fishhd

Fishhd LawnSite Member

Matt, I am new to this forum, not sure how to PM. e-mail me

fishhd@frontiernet.net

10. smp0723

smp0723 LawnSite Member

This is definitely not something I would do on a whim and I'm not jumping into anything without a plan....was just looking for ideas that maybe I haven't thought of already. He does have a full plate and could use a helper (which would be me) but while he and our teenager are doing mulch placement or other side jobs, I was looking for something I personally could do in addition to what I already do. I already do a lot of the office work and would probably take over all of it so he didn't have to bother with it. The planning is in the infant stages and I would never quit my job before having a solid business plan. I'm an insurance agent so I know all about what's at risk. In reality, I don't need to make the $40k I do now because some of our expenses would be reduced.