I Want A Bed Edger!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Wolfie's L&L, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a used (maybe new) small, gasoline bed edger, because I am going to have some jobs this spring that involve making new beds and/or redoing existing ones. I've been looking at the Craftsman (yea I know, but its a start! :rolleyes: ) equipment, and some Echo and Stihl equipment. Anyone have a good edger that they use that they could recommend? Looking for one up to $300.00.

Anyone else have any luck going to auctions and finding these things too? I am also going to do that in the spring, when there are more outdoor power equipment auctions.

Thanks!!

Jason

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah one's name is Mike and the other is Martin. Give 'em each a spade, and they are great! No maintenance on 'em either. :p

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have an old brown bededger/trencher.

i think what you're talkng is a sidewalk type edger.

bed edgers are a lot different.

new they start off at $1500.00 for the cheap ones.

i would not trade mine for anything.
    we just edjed our smaller commercial property. 4500 feet. only took me 3 hours to edge.
    clenup was about 2X that.

4. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Yea I'm talking about a small one, like 2-4 hp. Alot of the Echos have the ones that look like a weedwacker-type setup. I just want something small that I can push around the property. Nothing too big, just something to save me some time, than using shovels and spades.

Jason

5. YardPro

those aew not that great for edging beds. they only cut a slit in the ground.

6. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

if you are talking about buying one of those to dig the trench for edging save your money and buy a good one. Those things are worthless for edge trenching. I have a trenchmaster bed edger I think I paid a little over 2 grand for. You could probably find a used one of those some where at a decent price. I would trade mine for nothing. Saves so much time on labor they pay for themselves in a month or two. Those edgers you are talking about are only ment for cutting the sod along sidewalks and driveways. And if you buy a cheap one they dont even do that great a job at that.

7. YardPro

my sentiments exactly.

8. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW LawnSite Member

They're correct. I use 2 Husqvarna Edgers (cheap..about $350 a piece) to edge out the sidewalks at apartment complexes. On initial visits (where the previous owners/caretakers haven't been edging regularly), if the ground is at all moist, you're almost quicker using hand tools. However, once you're at a point where you are just routinely edging a site, they're excellent at keeping them tidy.

I haven't done enough landscape edging for plants beds yet to justify the $2 - $4k landscape edger. They look like they'd save allot of time, especially if they can get through small hair roots from nearby Trees.

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

check with Wriken, He has one on here for sale. It has been used for about 20 min. Not much call for one here.

10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought another EZ-Trench (sold the old one) and I wouldn't be without it. The new one can either bed edge or trench. Awesome machine.