I want a new backpack blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Jan 13, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

One last question for everybody. About a year ago I bought a used Echo PB-602 backpack blower off of a guy goin out of business. Now I think it's ready to go because it shuts off continuously and everything is just going wrong cause it's like 3 years old. Anyway I have researched several top-of-the-line bp blowers and have narrowed down my choices to another Echo or a Stihl. Echo blowers are more powerful than the Stihl's but I don't really like the things on the Echo like the non see-thru gas tank and most of their models are side mount. I hear that tube mounts are alot better in cases of like clearing leaves out of beds and small ares. I also want a looped tube handle. Waht's your opinion?

2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i would get the 602 fixed there cant be that much wrong with it .

3. CompleteLawn Service

CompleteLawn Service LawnSite Member

Hi Lawnkid, If it's a power thing then nothing compares to the echo pb650. It is the most powerful. 650cfm at the end of the tube and 220 mph at the end. The tank is see thru. I own one and so far love it. I also love stihl and had stihl made a blower bigger than the 420 I would have had a hard decision to make.
    Depending on your types of uses if it's alot of leaves and wet grass go with the pb650. If it's just blowing off dry grass and flower beds go with the stihl 420. I believe the echo 650 is the most expensive but the extra 50 - 100 bucks would pay you back in time saved with in a few weeks. I've seen pb650's as low as $410 but I paid $499 because I support my dealer here as he rocks when it comes to getting my equipment fixed and returned usually in the same day. Well I hope this helps you. Take it easy! Jeff

4. I agree with strickdad try first to see what repair costs would be
    Also shindawa makes a really good one.
    We have a shindawa and a sthil and both are like a bullet.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im a big stihl fan. i have a br400, and all ive ever used was stihl, so maybe that makes me a little pigheaded, but you couldnt go wrong getting one. the handle is real comfortable, and the throttle is real easy to use when doing leaves. i hear the new echos are real powerful, but they seemed a lot more heavy to me when i had it on my back.

6. mbd

Also the echo's ive used it seems to me have a lot of carberator problems at least the pb 400 we had did.

7. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I recently grabbed a 165BT backpack blower, and have been very satisfied with the power, ease of use, and comfort.. might want to take a look at them

Clint

8. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

i have a sthil thried a shindawa it was awesome too until a pickup the husky all i used since the latter two are excellent
    ...........Husky rocks!!! Dude

9. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

We have an Echo pb6000 it is about 6 years old. the only problem I have had in all that time is I replaced the pull cord once. We also have a newer Echo pb601 it has alot more power than the older model. I believe the newer ones are even stronger than mine. The only problem I have had is the spark plug was fouling but I swithed to Echo Oil and now the plug is good almost all season. I would try and fix the blower you have. If you need a new one you won't go wrong with either Echo or Sthil.

Ray

10. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I've used Echo blowers for about 4 years and have been very happy. Just replaced my old backpack w/PB 650. This blower is very powerful, and it would probably blow a Stihl BR400 across a parking lot.

Stihl is good equipment, but not as good as an Echo PB 650.

Ron