I Want In!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Pietro, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I want in on pavers. I just wish it were that simple! How did you guys get started? My company is insured, and I alreay know the business aspect of it, like pulling permits and etc.....I just dont have any experience. Long story short, I started with a push lawn mower 2 years ago....now we own 4 machines, and do 100K a year in mowing and small landscape work. Were getting a pesticide lics next year and getting into the cheimcal application too. I really want to learn how to do pavers, but cant find a school or anything. What route should I go as far as learning? Anyone out in central jersey that wants an extra set of hands? Obviously once we get into it, we will start with tiny jobs, but eventually Id like to work up to larger ones......even if its years down the road......I wanna get my feet wet, and need you guys to help me get started! My partner and I want to let our business grow, but Im tired of sending my clients elsewhere for work we arent capable of doing yet. - Pete

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Check with your suppliers. They should hold hands on classes throughout the season. Sign up and get some pointers, then buy a pallet and materials and play around to get your feet wet. Hands on is the only way to learn IMO.

3. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I'd offer you a spot on one of our crews but we are dry on paver jobs right now. Ask Mrusk, I think he said he had a job coming up with a really tight timeline to finish before a freeze. If this changes.............

6. DGomez

DGomez LawnSite Member

I will be attending this school in December
    thanks for the info
    Daniel Gomez

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Pavetech's Paverschool is real nice (paverschool.com) and ICPI (icpi.org) has a great introductory 8 hr. course. Just don't think that the classroom and 1 successful project makes you a hardscaper. I had that thinking and failed (hired guys that were more competent than me). Now I can get out there with the best of them, but the classroom sure didn't teach me much.

Sure, you'll be able to post intelligent threads on this site by attending an 8 hr. course, but taking $10-15K of someone else's money...I'd practice at home and on family's homes for a couple projects before I'd do that.

Just remember the definition of profit: "The reward for RISK taken".

By knowing that you should also know that, "the greater the RISK, the greater the reward..."

I wish you success in your new services.

8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

You know, so many people think hardscaping is some kind of gold mine or the get rich quick business. The sad truth is that it is becoming harder and harder to get the money you need to do the jobs the right way and still make a profit. Partly because everyone is jumping on the bandwagon with little or no expericane pricing job way to cheap and doing inferior work.

i don't want to come off as a jerk here, but so many guys see what we do and think they should be doing it too. This business is not for everyone, it has taken me and i am sure a lot the other guys on here years to get where we are. I for one hated doing pavers years ago when i first started in the business, mainly because i worked by myself mostly the first 2 years. However as pavers became more and more popular i had to learn to love them. Eventually i saw the light and how much potential there was with hardscaping and now its my passion. (Hiring employees to carry bricks helped too.)

Definitely take it slow, learn to price and build the right way, and if its truly your passion you will succeed at it.

I currently do hardscaping for a landscaper who tried a few hardscaping jobs and realized it wasn't what he wanted to pursue. This works great for him, i do the hardscaping and he does the landscaping. In return i refer him for any maintenance work i get. Just because you do landscaping doesn't mean you have to do hardscaping.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Wait! You mean hardscaping is not a goldmine or a get rich quick skeme?!!?

I'd honestly say its an extremely difficult business to make money in. Just because you can run a successful maintenance company, does not qualify you to run a successfull hardscape company. The equipment needed is expensive. The workers need are expenesive. Honestly there is nothing cheap about it.

And then you need to compete with guys still charging ten bucks a sq foot.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Agreed.

However, I hope you don't feel everyone entering this business is doing it for the get rich quick scheme or if they can do it I can do it attitudee. I started doing pavers a few years back along with some decorative SRWs. I guess you can say that I jumped on the bandwagon as well. I'm trying to get into hardscaping more and more but I'm finding it extremely difficult to compete. I really do like hardscaping and I can see myself leaving the maintenance side of things or having a seperate division or crew to do that. Problem is that I'm too high price wise but I refuse to do the work for what the "going rate" (man do I hate that term:cry: ) is.

I'm kinda in the "what came first the chicken or the egg?" stage. I want to get more experience but I don't want to lose money either.

God do I love owning my own business....