I wan't it short for the weekend!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jun 7, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

So switch me to Thursdays or Friday's. I have been getting this request now 3 to 4 times a week. With all the rain and endless sunshine people think I can just move my whole schedule around for them. I have heard it mentioned on here several times about charging premiums for these days, but does any one actually do this? If so do you charge people already on this day or if they wan't to be moved? I am getting bugged by all this and i am looking for a good solution, as Friday's is my easy day in case of heavy rain. I don't need to be slammed with work on this day either.

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I tell them that I am in a different area each day, and with a full schedual and workers to pay, it is impossible to make a special trip back to there area. If I it is a special customer, I may do my best to come later in the week to accomadate them, but this is rare. It is grass after all, and how much longer will the grass be if you cut them Tuesday instead of Thursday. With that many requests, I would not make exceptions or they will push for special treatment all the time.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh we all get that crap I just do not take any of it I just lost one over that they all think I can change my rout to cut them on Friday. Hell I have been so short handed I even had to cut on Sunday this week so Friday is not happening. The other idiots want fert then ask for bi weekly then have the balls to ask for it to be cut real short. LOL no way bi weekly and you got a thick lawn that grows welcome to the 3 3/4 to 4 1/2 inch club I cut what looks good with out killing myself no exceptions.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I used to, but dont do that anymore. I had one i do mon that wanted fri service, and there was no way. I told her i couldnt, but if she wanted to look for someone else she could. She didnt, and forgot about it i guess.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

or do you service mostly the south area? Its nice that we got the rain, we needed it but grass is sure taking off right now.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I just got one of those requests via Email Monday morning. Here's the Email and my reply:

Hello Richard,

I need to change my cutting days to FRIDAYS

ALSO, i need a special cut done on tuesday june 21st,my boss and HIS boss will be here

Thank you very much
    Mike

And my reply

Hello Mike,
    Can't help you out with the Friday thing (or Thursday for that matter, booked past 4pm as it is now, I start at or before 7am on both days) but I can cut your grass on Tuesday, June 21. Plus if it rains, like it has the last 2 out of 3 Fridays, on Thursday or Friday I have to do both days worth of work on one day. Details (like edging your sidewalk grass at a 45 degree angle, you drive me nuts with that (GRIN)) don't get done because I have to make better time. It would be kinda like having any other service cut your grass, mow, blow and go, no detailing. You really are much better off on Wednesdays.

Thank You
    Richard Martin

I spoke later on the phone to him and he is good with the current day he has.

7. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

We charge $1 for these days, may go up to $2 next season, as well as fenced in backyards.

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

How does one dollar cover the cost of driving back to that area?

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

That request would be met with a $5 per cut sur charge. Or if you think they might agree to the $5 charge, then make it $10.

You get cut when we originally agreed or you make it worth my while. The only way you get cut different is weather related or if I am working ahead (usually weather related too.)

10. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think they would like it if we switched their work schedule around so they worked midnight shift instead of 8-5? I don't think so.