I want my Toro run on fry oil

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by South Florida Lawns, Jun 5, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

That way I can save money and make the planet a better place. I just sold all my Stihl equipment and bought some really nice battery operated trimmers. What do you think about going green with my Toro Z Master?

2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

You sold ALL of your Stihls? Can the battery trimmers take the same beating? I don't know much about "going green" in mowers

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I know that people make some trucks run on bio-deisel, but you either have to know some chemistry or have to buy some expensive equpment to do that. Im not sure if small deisels can run on bio either.

4. cgll1135

cgll1135 LawnSite Member

I think it's an uninformed idea. There is no man made global warming, it's just part of a natural cycle. Even Al Gore has stopped calling it "man made" global warming and now he calls it climate change. Good luck with the batteries.

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Toro diesels can run on B5 or B10. What you are talking about is waste vegetable oil. You need regular diesel to get up to temp to get the veg oil in a liquid state. You could put a heater unit on it, but thats not real practical on a mower. Cars have room for separate tanks and all that, not to mention an engine kit to run the stuff. Veg oil is solid to around 68deg.

6. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I think youve gone insase selling your stihl. lol. send us the link of the battery operated trimmers.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I dunno about them 12v'ers lol

8. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

There was a guy on craigslist selling his lawn business...long story short...included in the sale was a flat bed diesel that ran on bio-fuel. I called him because I was curious about his truck....nothing else. I asked him where he got the fuel and he said "restaurants" and I said, "Don't you have to do something special to the engine?" And he said, "No." and then went on to explain to me about how the oil change is more tricky and you have to add something to the oil itself. He said he had 200 gallons in a tank in his back yard that he had gotten for free. Sounded great at $4 a gallon (that would equal $800 in his back yard) but also sounded like a real long term PITA.

9. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

you can run your diesel with as much WVO as you want, im doing it in my 00 powerstroke, i run 90% WVO and 10% diesel or kero to thin it slightly, of course i filter it to 2 micron, with my IDI 5 micron is cool, winter i go to 50/50 or it gels and makes the truck run like crap

ive been doin this for almost 8 months now, just hard to find enough veggie oil

im moving on to used motor oil now, set up my water seperator on a 1 micron filter and run it through 3 times before puttin it in my tank...ive been doing it 70/30 & burns with less smoke than diesel, gonna take a 2000 mile trip next week so ill let you know how it works out!

if you want more info you can find some stuff out on thedieselstop.com and go to biodiesel/alternative fuel

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I think I need Bio diesel instead.:dizzy: