I want out, but I'm nervous to make a leap.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I love taking care of lawns and I do a couple for my closest neighbors. I also want out of my fulltime job (sick of the BS) and I want to start my own Lawn Care and Snow Removal Business.

I don't know if I want to go part time with my current job (so I can keep the benefits) or quit altogether. I'm sure many of you made similar leaps. Did you ease your way into the business or did you go for it all at once? How did you handle the anxiety? My geographic area, by many standards, is considered poor. My main concern is that in the current economy, people may not be willing to pay a professional rate vs. doing it themselves and business may be hard to find. On the flip side, I'll never know unless I try. I've read that many of you worked fulltime, plus started your business. How many accounts did you have and how did you manage your time?

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep your BS day job just for the benefits and just work less hours. Don't quit all together or you will most likely be sorry.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, my thinking(and god knows im no genius) , is this: what are u making now vs. what u can make in lawn care? for example: if u r currently making say $65,000 a year plus bennies, paid vacation, etc. , are u willing to trade that for maybe 20-30, 000? i think it has to do with earning potential. what are u currently doing? making how much? if u r only making around 20-30, 000 now, and dealing with b.s, id say go for it, what do u have to lose? as far as economy, i dont know where its headed, but im personally finding that people in the last 2 yrs are not afraid to spend money at all. i thought pocketbooks would get tight, but the opposite has happened. im getting alot of unexpected "extras", and ive jacked up prices quite a bit, they dont seem to bat an eye. good luck

4. Jeff NY

Jeff NY LawnSite Member

Keep your current job and do lawn care part time. Central N.Y. is not as high paying as other areas. Put an ad in the local paper and get some accounts to start with.

5. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I worked at a manufacturing plant until last April.I had the perfect shift;on two off two on three off three.12hr days.When my wife and I sat down and had a heart to heart about this we determined I had enough yearly contracts to cover bills for 12 months;all seasonal contracts are considered bonus retirement money.Haven't regretted it a bit.The nicest thing was my boss watched me build business and kept telling everyone I would never leave.Shocked the heck out of him when he read the e-mail stating I was giving two weeks notice.

6. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Remsen1.One thought.Run your business,don't let it run you.There are a lot of hassels but when I want a day off with my family I take it.I don't have to go through a paper trail of who has the most seniority and all that bull.But I'm also going to be pushing snow all night probably so you have to weigh your options.I love what I do so it doesn't feel like work.

7. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Keep the BS job till you can make enough mowing to live on, than go for it.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would first figure out what my company benefits would cost me personally if I had to go out and purchase them on my own. I am assuming you're including major medical, eye and/or dental, etc. And then try to get a grasp on what vacation, personal, sick time was worth to me.

A lot of people do this part time at first to see if they can even keep up with the pace. You'll know that soon enough. If you then decide to go full time, at least you'll have a better understanding of what you're getting into.

just my 2 cents...good luck in whatever you decide.

9. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Remsen:

I would advise you, for at least the 1st year, to hang onto the fulltime job. Start advertising and see what kind of response you get. Build slowly this year to make sure you have time for the regular job, family, etc. Based on the response you get this year, make the decision whether or not to go fulltime in a year.

Rodfather is right. Benefits, mainly insurance, are a pain. I am currently COBRAing my insurance. I was part time last year, but got laid off in December. I am fulltime this season. Fear is a great motivator, so I will do everything I can to succeed. I have a wife and 2 kids, so this has to work for me.

10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I've got to agree with the rest. I started part time and held on to my full-time job not only for the bene's but to see if I really did like lawn care. I did this for a year and found that I was getting more and more business and needed to make a decision on which direction I wanted to head. Went part time at my job and started lawn care full-time. It was the best thing I've ever done. I still work part time for benefit, self employment benefits are just too costly. Start small and see how you like it. Having a full-time job will also allow you to have a solid flow of money so you can take the money you make from lawn care and buy equipment. Good Luck!!!