I want snow!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Dec 17, 2003.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

That's right, I want snow. I'm envious of you guys that get to plow. I have always loved snow and now I live in the desert in Utah and don't see any.
    But how about this for a business venture. It snows near here, about 30 mins away in the mountain town. I was thinking of getting together some accounts and things and going to work up there to see how the market is. Short drive on the freeway and have friends to crash up there if needed. Only thing is that it would have to be worth my while in gas/time to do it.
    So my question is, What do you think? Could it work and be profitable? I know that even you and I don't really know how the market is there for this service but it's a good thought.
    Well for those who do plow, I think your lucky to have a market for both Lawn Maintenance and Snow Removal.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i dunno, driving up there may not seem like a big deal, but if you have a break down thats a long way to go repair something or return to base if you forget something, etc. weigh out the costs of a plow (along with the beat-the-crap-out-of-your-truck costs) versus possible revenue.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how about sub-contracting out work up there instead? Go up there, market to potential customers, then find some people reliable that can do the work, while you make money setting at your desk.

4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Have plenty here come and take it. I personally love snow, but hate plowing with a passion.

5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

You CAN make money plowing in Utah...... It can be done....

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I just might take the ferry over. Got 3 trucks sitting with nothing to do. :cool:

7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

LOL!

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

John, you got crews out there as well..ok time to come clean, how many states do you have crews/sub-contractors in?