I want the old gas cans back!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Goetso, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Goetso

Goetso LawnSite Member

I know this topic has probaly been beat to death already but has any company made a good can yet that will empty in a decent amt of time? I wont even buy thoes EPA cans. They just dont work. Other than going with something like the Tuff Jugs, what else is avaible that is close to the older models? Call me crazy, but my favorite can still is the older Blitz can w/ the yellow spouts and little yelow flapper valve. So quick and easy despite the plastic breaking once in a while.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Get one of the metal safety cans.

3. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Double what he said, safer and :weightlifter:

4. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I too HATE the new "safety" spout cans. It's a pathetic world when someone has to regulate a gas spout. I take my spouts off and dump straight from the can...it'll empty fast!

5. Knight511

Knight511 LawnSite Member

At first I was like, "What is wrong with new gas cans?" Then I read your description of the Blitz cans... yup... all three of my cans are the old Blitz ones... :)

6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The solution is to vent the new can, by installing a tubeless tire valve stem, sans the core, on the handle of the new can, and cut off that godawful spring loaded valve on the spout, and rig up some sort of new cap for the spout! That'll put you back to the position we were in, before the EPA started messing with fluid dynamics. Always remember that EPA is APE spelled backwards!:laugh::laugh::waving:

7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Venting the can with a valve stem works really well. But use a metal stem, the rubber ones melt.

I'm hoping that my old Blitz spouts make it through the year. The new ones are horrendous.

8. twotone

twotone LawnSite Member

Were those the cans that were wide at the bottom and narrow at the top and would not tip over ?

9. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Im always worried Im going to snap the new valve off. The old ones you could push the spout into the can and it would fit in a nice tight space and if it tipped over I wouldnt worry about breaking it.

Oh, and if you break your valve, they cost almost as much as the can. I think Im going to end up with about a dozen 5 gal cans without lids. :laugh:

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I try and pick up those old gas cans at yard sales and such.

Just got 3 last week sitting by the road with a "FREE" sign on 'em !

The guy said he wanted to get the new safety cans.