I want to be here when you cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wesLESCO48, May 1, 2002.

1. wesLESCO48

wesLESCO48 LawnSite Member

I went to service a property i just recently acquired
    and the lady says i can't cut her yard because she
    is about to leave. She also said she wasn't happy
    about me cutting the yard previously when she wasn't
    there. On top of this she says it really doesn't need cut
    and that she will call when it needs cut. When she called for an estimate i left it on a door hanger stating the price and my
    minimum of 2 cuts per month. she called back and said
    go ahead. I just couldn't believe this women so i said thanks
    for your business but i can't operate my business by
    your requirements. Then i said i wouldn't be back but
    have a nice day.
    Did i handle this the right way?
    Have any of you had a similar experience?
    If soo how did you handle it or how would you?
    thanks, Wes

2. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Sounds like you did okay to me. I probably couldn't have been as nice...........

3. Never hurts to be nice in these situiations. Sounds like you did fine to me. If its not a good fit say "goodbye." Maybe make sure to cover expectations a little better up front.

Seems like shes looking for little timmy down the street to do chores for her.

4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

DUMP her, FAST.

I had one like that, and I realized before I mowed the first time how this was going to work. That working for her was going to be a huge PITA. So I intentionally got there BEFORE she got home, and did the work. Told her that my day went better than expected, and I was early. (Nobody understands that you must stay on a schedule.) She thought she was the one that fired me, that way I didn't have to do it.

People like this you DO NOT need.

5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

why arent you cutting weekly you make more money and less work for you..

6. You did good.

Weekly cuts or find some one else here. I tell them that on the bids It says "weekly"!!

And oh yes I don't play that you have to do it when I am home BS too!!!

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I had a call recently about aerating. He said I'm only home on saturday so that would be when you could do it. I told him I don't work on saturday unless I'm behind, and I'm not behind. You don't need to be home for me to get the job done. His statement was: "you don't work on saturdays?". No sir, I operate this business full time all week, like yourself I like to be home on the weekends also. "Well if you can't work it in on saturday I guess you can't get my business". No thanks, I don't need your business. I'll do fine without the hassle.

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i just always tell them i prefer to do the work when they aren't home so my equipment doesn't disturb them while they are trying to relax after a hard day at work or on the weekend. this seems to make them think i am doing them a favor and thinking about their benefit... :D

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

There's the curb....kick her to it.....

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

What??? I can't believe that you weren't willing to place yourself (and your entire schedule) at the beck and call of this customer. Of all the nerve! You are supposed to sit patiently beside the telephone awaiting her summons...and then be at her disposal within 10 minutes of her calling you! You are not supposed to put any other customers, or, for that matter, your personal time, family, or friends, or anything else above her demands. PERIOD!

She is your life's PRIORITY!!! Your "world" is supposed to revolve around those 2 precious mowings each month!

Who do you think you are? A professional? A businessman? A human being?

You are just a yardboy and shall jump when she 'snaps her fingers'....and don't you ever forget it!

All kidding aside...you shouldn't think twice about telling these type of people to "take a hike". You need them like you need kidney stones....OUCH! :D