I want to become an Irrigation installer!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Before you start dumping on me, I want the education first. I have been in the lawncare business for 6 years. I have three crews 2 mowing and 1 landscaping / landscape maintenance. However I would like to add irrigation to my company. No one in my area is installing or maintaining irrigation. The closest one is about 40 to 50 miles away.
    What I need is, what seminars or classes do I start with and where can I find them. I have been searching the web with no results. Your help would be appreciated thanks.
  2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

1. Look for classes in your area- perhaps a local college

2. hire an experienced person to run irrigation for you

3. buy some books on the subject, the complete irrigation workbook is a fav of mine. If you can find it, the Turf irrigation manual is a bible of sorts.
  3. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Turf irrigation manual is available at the Irrigation Association Web site it is the Bible as state before.

Best thing I have done was Irrigation it a whole new world compare to Turf Management though, Quite a click if you cant tell from reading these posts LOL
  4. turfman59

Sorry about the spelling and gramar on the last post I was getting a massage at the time. I must be the luckiest guy on here!!!! LOL
  5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I also want too!..... but my friend won't vouch for me as being a employee of his for 5 years...........come on, share the wealth! (I hate NJ's regulations by the way)
  6. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Thanks guys I have been to IA website and am looking into a seminar in Illinios next month. Anymore ideas?
  7. turfman59

Get the study guide materials and STUDY!
  8. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

When i was in your position and curious on how to go about this i found a few good FREE manuals down at a local Home Depot put out by Toro for homeowners to install there own systems. They weren't the best...but they sure answered alot of general basic questions i had. Just an idea....

I learned the rest from another local installer....went out with him every weekend for 3 months straight and learned the installation process from the ground up....that was more valubale than any class I could've taken.

9. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Just read the old posts on this forum. Tons of info an inquiries before you. Nothing new to be said.

Only comment I'll make is there really a market for what you want to do? Everybody may have a lawn but not everyone wants or can afford an irrigation system.

If you have a lot of clients "wishing" they had a way to keep there landscape nice there may be interest. do they say they like an estimate but can't find anyone in the area? If you or your competitors are doing "landscaping" in the over $10-$15k range there may be a market. I've found that on these size projects irrigation can run 20% to 35% of the investment in landscaping.

If your landscape projects are $800 to a couple thaousand there is probably not a viable market to make this a serious business division. If you don't have high earning factory workers or high end white collar and not a lot of new housing growth for those kinds of homeowners there is probably not a market for irrigation.

Irrigation is promoted in magazines as as new profit center etc. but reality is far different.
  10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Does your friend own an irrigation company? Do you have w-2's from your employment with him?