I want to build a leaf box using a huge mesh pool cover. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Oct 17, 2007.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

A customer gave me a huge mesh swimming pool cover. The kind that an elephant can stand on and not go through. I would like to use the mesh cover instead of ply wood for my truck leaf box this year. I figured I could put the 2x4s upright in the dump body of my truck and attach the mesh to them. It seems like it would be much lighter then having a box made of wood.

Any ideas or opinions?
  2. Rottman

Rottman LawnSite Member

I wonder if you could use a ladder rack and wrap the pool cover around it? You would probably need to weld another rail around the bottom or even go higher. Then you could pull the ladder rack off when you are done and keep the set up in-tack. Should weigh less than using 2x4s. Good idea with the pool cover.
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it a breatheable cover , meaning will it release unwanted air inside box , if not it will not work! shade tarps work well for leaf boxes as well as hardware fabric. If ya wanna build the ultimate in a leaf box use metal angle iron with expanded metal, it wil last for years an will handle the leaves, the best part about this style of box is that it releases all the unwanted air an packs the box well with leaves. have fun George
  4. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, as long as it can let the air escape fast enough it should work glowingly. However, as the bed/trailer fills the plywood you were using will help the leaf mass keep it's shape. You're going to need to make sure the fabric you're talking about is secured such that this is still the case. Other than that I see no problem.
  5. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

The fabric is very breathable. I'm going to have to attach the fabric to the 2x4s in such a way that it stays put. This way here it will stay in a box shape and not bulge out. But I don't want it to rip either. Also If I build it right, I can take the whole thing off the truck and roll it up.

Thank you for your responses guys.
  6. baddboygeorge

LISTEN take that fabric an overlap top of box like at least incheson all sides then put 2x4's over the overlapped material , i PROMISE YA IT WONT BULGE AT ALL! See ya George
  7. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

my boxes are all built out of plywood, but I take and cover about 2/3 of the roof with mesh tarp so it can breathe out the top.
    If you mesh on the sides, dust will go out the sides too, and all over.

The top is bad enough, but not as bad as all over.
  8. baddboygeorge

plywood boxes do well an venting the top is good to , but if ya wanna do it big, angle iron an expanded metal an do the entire box sides top an all. All the air escapes an it packs leaves to the max an zero dust just leaf particles!