i want to buy a wright mower 52 stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jim65, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jim65

jim65 LawnSite Member

can i get some feed back on a wright mower i dont know much about then

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Demo, demo, demo...I own and run Wrights, and love them . You'll hear from the naysayers, and the JD /GD guys, but you asked about Wrights in particular, so I will give some info. You can not beat the manueverability and speed for doing lots of broken areas of landscaped yards. They are great for open areas as well as hillsides / moderate slopes. You really need to demo one to see if it fits the needs of your company. They are in a category all their own, IMO.Check out the search function , and look for threads by impactlandscaping, itsgottobegreen,dcondon, & maclawnco to name a few.

www.wrightmfg.com

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I just traded my 61" Stander in for the 52".......I have not used it yet but I know it will be a better machine for me. The 61" was a bit under powered. I Love the Standers.....save lots of time........

Derek

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

smaller residentials are where they shine. Very manuverable and save the operator a ton of fatigue. 10 hour days are no longer tiring on the stander. 8 hour used to be the physical limit on a wb/velkie.

5. Classic

Classic LawnSite Member

Demo..demo...demo...

The only thing that I hated about the Wright Stander is the fixed deck. The rest of the mower is fine.

I ended up with a Great Dane Super Surfer because of the easy to adjust floating deck

Again....demo...demo..demo

6. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 52" Stander with a 23hp Kawi and it is the best thing to happen to our business. We have a lot of leaves in our area and when leaves dropped this year, this machine saved us a lot of work. We'd just mulch the leaves several times and run over them with a bagger and it saves you a lot of time and a lot of space in either your truck or plastic bags. This mower is very versatile, going a lot of places that a walk behind will and more than any sit down rider. It definately takes some getting used to, but if you have the time, demo one because you will love them.

7. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

I do not understand why you have less fatigue on a stander then you do on a walk-behind with vilkie. You stand on both. Please explain.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The stander is the way to go. I own three and woundn't trade them for any thing. They can go from a postage stamp lawn to a 3 acre property and still be productive. I got rid of my wide area walkbehind and ZTR. Plus nothing can touch it on hills. It will climb up and go across side ways any hill. No other walkbehind or ZTR can touch it on a hill. The stander is just more versatile all around.

As for maclawns's statement. When using a walkbehind and sulky. You are being pounced around on a little tiny wheel(s). (stander has nice big rear tires to soften the ride) Plus you have to bend when you turn. (stander you are in a fixed standing position) Plus a pistol grip walkbehinds kill your hand. (stander has wide ztr style controls) Backing up you have to step on and off the sulky. (stander you are still on the machine) And if you have a belt drive you have to pull back on the machine to back it up. (stander just pull back on the controls.)

9. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

I bought a 52/23 and used it for 40 hrs and liked the machine except for the crappy customer service from Wright and the streaking and the inability to hold a hill like my Lazer...yes gentlemen, the Lazer does better on my hills! Stander also required hourly (that's every hour!) deck scraping to get OK cut. Lazer and Turf Tracer go 10 hrs between scrapings. I do very little extra trimming using Lazer compared to Stander and get far better results.

The real blister was selling the Stander for dirt cheap and turning around to buy another Lazer. Even my dealer agreed the thing was junk and Wright Manufacturing did nothing!!!