I want to find an AC unit for my truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by outrunjason, Mar 14, 2008.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I have only looked into this for about an hour but wonder if anyone else has something they have used or know of.

I work sometimes 10 to 12 hour days and of that 10 to 12 hours my truck might be running 6 of those hours. Only reason it is running is because my guys are working and I am either on the phone, sending e-mails etc. But to stay cool I have to keep the truck running. Well it cost me a lot last year doing that and this year there has to be a better way.

I read somewhere that there was a 12 volt unit that put out cool air but didn't find much more on it. Anything know of anything. I might even go as far as to get a cheap generator or something :)

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Seen 12 volt heaters, there's no such unit as a 12 volt cooler ..

3. outrunjason

from dallas

Well there is and it said it put out 7,000 btu or something. I forgot to mention that it had a 2,500 watt inverter in it.

4. scottm1

scottm1 LawnSite Member
    from Mo

btu's is the abbreviation for "British Thermal Units" which is the way heat is rated, not cooling.

5. outrunjason

from dallas

6. outrunjason

from dallas

7. kklick

kklick LawnSite Member
    from ohio

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

It is used for both. 1 ton of cooling = 12,000 BTU/hr.

9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Where would you put such a contraption...? It sounds interesting, just would require more POWER....!!!!

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Its simple--just run a hose from your spray tank through the cab--make a few coils and send it back out to the tank--which is filled with cold water among other things. Run the pump to keep the water circulating. Add a 12 volt fan to circulate the cooled air. You are good until the water warms up to air temp.