1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I want to know how much i should sell my business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GreenHor7, May 20, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

I have a guy interested in buying my business. I was wondering what it is worth. I gross around 1000 a week for mowing and do about 9000 with spraying for the year and i also do otrher miscellaneous things like mulching. He offererd 7500. Just for the accounts.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I think 2 months of gross receipts is a fair price.
  3. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Is this the general consensus.
  4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

NO My company is 23 years old. Gross over 250,000 year profit of 35% .I wont sell for 2 months gross. Would sell for 2 years gross.
  5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Your compareing apples & oranges
  6. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Yeah Right:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
  7. mgugliotti

mgugliotti Inactive

Folks let's be real, you will probably never get 500k for a company that does 250k gross per year with 35%PM. There are formulas that you can use to figure the value of your business... just google "business value" or the like... I have bought and sold at least 10 businesses in my years of business, and as I have told people on here before, a business is only worth what some one will be willing to pay for it... so with that said to the guy that will see his business for 500k, I wish you the best, and my hat is off to you of you get that, you are one hell of a sales man. You should ask your accountant, they can tell you exactly how much your business is worth. Selling a business is a tricky thing, get advice, and get lots of it from you lawyer and your accountant, if you don;t you are selling yourself short.
  8. mikefuhr

mikefuhr LawnSite Member

i am wondering where your contracts and mostly located and if we could talk some more about it. thanks mike
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Can your company run itself for one year w/out the owner? If not, you are crazy to think you will get 500k. If you run your business and do not have a manager in place... which I doubt at only 250k... your business is worth 10-15% of gross income plus fair value of equipment and property.
  10. brian_b

brian_b LawnSite Member

If you are interested in selling, I am interested in buying. I can make a quick and fair offer.