1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I want to learn..

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by davis45, Jan 9, 2008.

1. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been reading this section for awhile, and also admiring the work i've seen. Also i have noticed you guys are hard on first timers, haha. My deal is that I can not afford, and do not have time to attend any type of schooling, but I am serious about learning retaining walls and hardscaping. Could some of you professionals give me some advice on how to get started? I want to do it correctly after reading your comments on some other's work!

By the way, I will have a dump truck by the time the 2008 season starts, and the funds are there for other equipment if needed.
  2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

3. davis45

Thank you very much!!!

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

You Have To Invest Into Yourself And Your Company To Reap Rewards. I Don't Understand...you Don't Have The Funds To Afford Training, But You Have A Dump Truck And Money For Other Equipment. My Thoughts Are, Use The Money For Training And Rent Your Equipment Until You Get Where You Need To. You Will Loose More Than Your Shirt If You Don't Know What You Are Doing And Start Messing With Retaining Walls.
  5. davis45

I work a nightshift job. I can't afford to loose pay to take off time for schooling/training.
  6. you can't afford not to get training and schooling, if your serious about learning it and doing it right.
    This is an investment just as important as a dumptruck or equipment.
  7. davis45

I will be going to hardscape north america, then i will see how it goes from there. I don't want any of you to think i am rushing into this, I WILL learn to do it properly and correctly or i will not do it at all.

The dumptruck is not strictly so i can start hardscaping. I am buying it for grass clippings, leaves, mulch, dirt, etc. It has been in my budget for quite some time.
  8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you've taken some good advice !!
  9. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Look dude I am from your area go to the chicago hardscape expo before you go to the big one or you will be clueless trust me. As for not having time either jump ship take the time to go just landscape with out another job or don't do it at all. The reason we are hard on first timers is because they try to do it on the side and it makes it harder for us because they screw our pricing by doing stuff for cheap. Or in you case doing things unexperinced and then a job we should have had before we fixing somebody ***k up inturn costing the homeowner more money. Not that you are going to do this by all means I know you want to learn and everybody has to start somewhere and you probably are a really cool cat so don't take that as a shot at you. Expreince is the best teacher smart small and work your way up.