I want to make real money.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmk395, Jan 12, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

How does one go out and make real money in this industry? I am not talking about being some scrub, who works for cash dreaming of better days over his budweiser after work each day.......I am being serious.....or should I go back to school and get my MBA. Any insight is fine, whether positive of negative.
  2. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Plenty of money can be made in this trade. The older you get, and the longer your in this trade, the better youll get. Ive been in this trade since I was 11 and have seen many levels of income. From what Ive learned so far(and you learn something new on a regular basis) is that as long as your heart is in it, you work smart, get conections with the right people, use productive machines youll do well. I know all that may sound weird, but the facts speak for themselves. With the guidance you can get from this board and others like it ,youll be wayyy ahead of your competition. One other thing thats very important is keeping the maint. routes tight. Spending time in traffic is a killer. Im in the process of renting another sight to put another maint. truck in one of the towns we work in, so now Im working out of Quincy, and Weymouth.
  3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

If you are close to a degree in school,then i would get it.It's always good to have something to fall back on, or improve your own business.Yes--there is money in this industry but it doesn't happen overnight.Good luck.;)
  4. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

I am 2 credits short of my MBA. I have no urge to finish it and all the urge in the world to work for me. I would rather control my own destiny as opposed to someone else.

I plan on working full-time and part time LCO with the plan to be full time LCO in less than 2 years. It is my opinion that the industry is very fragmented and there are many opportunities. Most of all I love being outside (hot or cold) as opposed to sitting in an office listening to all the political bs of an organization.

I will echo (no pun intended) dmk's comments, if you are close the education will do you well in the business and will allow you something to fall back on if things go bad.

Remember, one thing about opinions is that everyone has one.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, there is nothing wrong with getting an education. If your close to getting your MBA then I would finish. Not because it gives you something to fall back on, but if you've already invested time and money it would be foolish to quit. And being able to make that decision gives you some common sense, and correct business decision making abilities which is required in running a business. Secondly, your comment seems offensive to those on here and in this industry. Do you mean that none of us are making good money unless we have a college education? There are plenty of tech. offered classes to educate you along the way as you grow and learn your business. Thirdly, no offense to you fivestar, but I'm sick of hearing about having an education to fall back on. To me, that is just setting yourself up with an excuse for your business failure. Like I said, any education you receive is great and will be helpful, but to say it's always good to fall back on is too easy an excuse. Go into this with the ambition and drive to succeed. If you are looking for a crutch to fall back on, then don't bother starting your own business, you won't have what it takes to make it. No offense to anyone and good luck with your decision dmk.
  6. dmk395

from Ma

My post was not at all meant to be offensive, and shouldn't be taken that way at all. Currently I just received my B.A.. I have a business (and do well, however I often wonder if the grass is greener on the other side), it was the only way I could afford to go to school. I appreciate your insight, once again MLI.
  7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

DMK, if you just got your BA, you're still a ways away from an MBA. What's more, many MBA programs don't even want you until you've had some years under your belt in the work world.

I've got a BA too, not much interest in an MBA, but I do recognize that there are many intangibles you get from an education. It's something that on it's own could earn you a good deal of money.

But if you're wondering if $$ can be made at lawncare/landscaping, put some of that schooling to work and crunch some numbers. Then you'll be able to take your own personal definition of 'good money' (as it varies person to person) and see what it'd take to get where you want.

Good luck!

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Just curious. Exactly how much money do you want to make?
  9. dmk395

from Ma

Within a few years I would like to be making six figures, while working a typical nine month northeast work schedule. Possible, maybe.....
    Stonehedge...the number crunching is what I have done....but being young and self employed bucks the trend.....remember I am doing everything I was taught not to do in school.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

College attempts to teach you to be a good corporate citizen. When I was getting my degree working for the "big companies" was what they taught as "success". That is just plain BS. What's better, working for someone else or yourself? Ask the owner of that big company!