1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I want to sell it all.........

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, Glorious City of Abbotsford has bought a new excavator, not sure of size tracked or wheeled configuration, but they are looking for an operator, applicant will be trained on a Gradall, Grader (new Deere) and sanding/gravel truck. Applicant must also posses Class 3 with air or Class 1 license.

A reliable source told me that they will hire on the spot if they know who you have worked for and if they are on the hired equipment list.
    Pay is $24.00 per hour starting wage, weekends off and holidays, you can bank your over time and sick days to get 1 week paid off and 1 week off with no pay.
    Expected annual income would be $50-$60,000 a year, with full benefits and optional pension plan. A vehicle with a fuel tank will be provided when the machines are unable to be driven back to the yard at the end of every day.

If things get sour here, and they are still looking for an operator, I am officially selling everything and signing up. I'd make more money a year than I make now, no equipment payments, no repair costs, no over head.
    If the economy goes to hell, I'd still be getting paid, they will keep an operator busy doing something.

I am tempted.

Very, very, tempted.

And if I find out that a rubber tired excavator has been bought, f*ck it, I signing up ASAFP.

2. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ron,

How much other equipment is your's besides the skid steer? Was the little hitachi mini your's or you dads?

Sounds like a good job if everything is true about it.

3. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

sh!t Ron i would take that in a heart beat! Thats like a city opening a new fire station w/ 25 Full-time FF positions and your only requirements are your fire certs!

4. bobcat_ron

I'd sell my F450, GN Trailer, Cat skid steer with 8 attachments, that's just what I own. chances are, my brother would buy off me, but I think he'd kill me first, he knows damn well that the City wants to do their own ditch cleaing every year.

5. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Deere grader!! Hummmm! Your have to lower your standards :laugh:

You would be bored to death in a week.Same old,same old thing everyday.Your get fat or fatter, and lazy:cry:, then you won't be any good too anyone.

Good luck what ever you decide.:usflag:

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think I would quit working for myself, I like being my own boss, and it sounds like you have a pretty nice setup now, but everybody has there own opinion....

7. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

It's too late. I saw gravel rat doing some bitching with it already. I mean ditching......

8. bobcat_ron

Like I said, I am very, very tempted. I haven't felt like this since wanting to try out a Cat skid steer almost a year ago, and look how that turned out.

9. MackCat

MackCat LawnSite Member

You would never be happy, just think of all the fun you would miss with you beloved SEX ON TRACKS!

10. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

Ron, Do what you wan't to do. If I was you I would work for the city. Besides you could always go back to the family buisness if you get laid off. :)