I want to sharpen my own blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cutman2000, Jul 20, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of using my power drill to sharpen my mower blades. I saw a few videos on Youtube. They used the little top looking thing that fits in the power drill. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion/experience with/about this thing.

2. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing this for a few years.

Doing as you describe above works well to touch up a dulling blade. not worth the time though unless you take them in every now and again to keep the straight edge and proper angle. I usually can do it myself 2-3 times and then take them in to have them done. works good.

I find that if I do any more then a quick touch up with my drill, that the blade seems to dull too fast after words.

3. bocian

bocian LawnSite Member

I've always been sharpening my own blades, i use a cheap ryobi angle grinder (home depot < $30 or harbor frieght tools) and it works very well, just as dave said, just keep the angle and you'll save yourself some money :)

4. JCA1

JCA1 LawnSite Member

I use a Dewalt angle grinder with one of these(flap disc) on it. Very easy to maintain the proper angle.

[​IMG]

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is exactly what I use but I doubt that I ever keep the angle correct:dizzy:

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

The hot lick for sharpening any mower blade is a 5/8 dia. X 1" long solid carbide double cut burr. Chuck that baby up in yer 1/4" die grinder and you wont have to worry about burning the edge, even on the thinnest harry homeowner blades!
    Plus, ya can sharpen most in situ!
    Pricey, but it will last forever. ( if ya don't drop it, like I did! )

7. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

flap discs for us ,over time curled the edge toward the ground leaving a bad cut