i want turbo on 1600 wide area mower

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by 430 boy, Feb 16, 2005.

1. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

A little history for those that are new to the early and current john deere 1600.
    The first two or three years wam that deere made had power problem. In 2000 or 2001 deere company had a solution which to turn up the injecter pump which
    took it from 51hp to about i guess 55 hp. Model year 2002 deere put a total
    different engine with turbo on it. It was 1600 turbo. i have just a regular 1600 non-turbo and i want put turbo off a little VW, honda, or ford car. I know you
    just don't throw a turbo on something and call good. There is math formulas for
    sizing turbo. any ideas ???????? :help:
  2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The motor has plenty of power. It overwhelms the hydraulic power of the hydro system if a blade is jammed.

The turbo WAM is rated at the same 68 acres per day as the Naturally Aspirated version.

Your best bet would be to sell and buy a turbo WAM.

The engines are different, the 4tne88 is the N/A version and the 4tne84T is the turbo version. The N/A is actually a bigger engine. Yanmar did not turbo any of the 4tne88 motors. The compression may be too high and the injector pump not boost-enrichment capable. Any turbo would have to be very low pressure.

I only seldom feel short of power, on steep uphills in thick grass, but very rarely.

Have you checked your fuel/air filters?