i want you to come back, and make corrections

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 18, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i put in 10 yds of mulch, 2 weeks ago. she calls last night, "i need you to come back and make corrections. i saw on a t.v show that the mulch should not be around the base of the plants. i want you to make a 6 inch ring around the base of the plants, then remove the un needed mulch." there are about 80 shrubs and grasses, all close together, if i make a 6 inch ring, there won't be any mulch left. any advice?

2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Explain to her why the mulch is there. Its to keep the ground moist under the plant. Sometimes people mound up the soil and mulch around newly planted trees to make a pool around the base of the tree to keep water around it longer. Let her know she misunderstood the t.v. show and that most shows aren't specific to the zone you are in.

3. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

TV shows don't do the work.

Educate her and let it be. If she still wants it done, let her hire the tv show.

I Dislike with serious prejudice all forms of TV landscaping. Unrealistic.

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell her to turn off the TV and do it herself.
    Crawdad

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Fine , but she needs to pay you for your time as her wishes were NOT expressed before the job was bid and completed.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Whuy is it that people will believe anything said on TV but will not believe us- the people that are trained and expierienced in actually dong the work in the real world? Tell her the reasons you mulch the way you do. and not te believe everything on tv.

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Now wait a minute. Mulch should not be piled up around the base of plants because mulch retains moisture and can cause rot or disease... however, you don't necessarily need a 6" ring. Just think about it. You want to retain moisture, but it's for the roots, not for the base of the plant. A similar problem is where people plant shrubs or trees too deep in the ground.

This is something that I advise, and advised when I was with the extension service.

Bobby, I'd be professional about it and go back there and push the excess mulch away from the base of the plants. It wouldn't take long.

There's a saying in the United States that the customer is king. But in Japan the customer is God.

8. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Right or wrong if she did not stipulate before the bid she wanted the 6 inch free space it would not be provided as an "included service" ,,,,,extra charge., You Bet!

There is always room for disagrement on minor details even between profesionals and CES agents. Landscaping is an artform not a science. Who is to say if you had moved it out 6 inches, that she would have came out and asken "When are you going to finish the ground cover?

At least an extra bid..........Maybe a job to rearrange mulch.

9. houston

houston LawnSite Member

Bobby,

Was the mulch put in bedded areas? How deep is the mulch that you installed? Is it the same depth all over (open areas and around shrubs/plants/grass)?

:dizzy:

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

exactly correct. have fun fixing this one, bob.

GEO