I want you to come back and move fixtures

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by pete scalia, Oct 18, 2007.

1. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

We've had a few months (5) to live with the lighting and we'd like to make some changes when can you come out.
    What changes would you like to make?
    Ok sounds like a day of labor for my 3 man crew, some cable , connectors it should be about $1,500.00 (terms of contract they signed state any changes made after signing off approval of system shall be additional and work performed at ... per man hour and retail price for fixtures)

What! why should I have to pay? Don't you want your customers to be satisfied?

How would you deal with this?

2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

like a day of labor for my 3 man crew, some cable , connectors it should be about $1,500.00
    That's just how I would deal with that.

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

We'll take care of it as soon as possible. Have a great day.

4. bmwsmity

bmwsmity LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Ohio

Ditto.

No disrespect meant Pete, but haven't you ever held a position in which you must provide customer service?

Some answers you might get on here may seem like the right ones (i.e. charging people), when in fact they are contrary to the concepts of great customer service.

About 90% of the reason I got into this business was because I realized that there are a huge number of contractors that simply have NO CLUE about how to treat a customer.

Here's one policy that can help to prevent the "re-aim lights" issue:

- Create a maintenance program that includes trimming of plant growth that covers the lights, re-aiming or positioning of lights when necessary, etc. Find out what the market rate is for this in your area, find your costs, and then set the price accordingly.

If a customer wants lights re-aimed, go do it for free the first time. You never know....they may have seen a lighting job done by SOMEONE ELSE and are considering having THEM come in and fix your install. I can't tell you how many times I go in and rip out systems that were poorly designed. Why? Because the original company didn't know how to treat customers (or design a system).

When you make the first free change, mention the maintenance program and encourage them to take it because "it will give them the most out of their lighting investment."

Oh, the market rate in my area is around $14-17 per light, per year. (includes replacing bulbs). I do my plan quarterly, so I can get maximum exposure to my customers and their neighbors, which increases my chances of referrals and upselling for more lights.

Hope this helps. :drinkup:

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

It's called customer service for a reason. Do the right thing, get back in there, make the client happy and don't send them a bill.

In return, you can expect a statisfied client who will positively comment about your company and service to their friends and family.

If you simply cannot get over the "lost revenue" of providing such service, then account for the time and materials, send the client an invoice with the last line item being a 100% discount, and then have your bookeeper move all of the expenses into your 'promotions' account.

Next, go out and get yourself a copy of Purple Cow by Seth Godin. It will make you a better business person.

6. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

You want to service your customers the best you can. But we are not in the buisness of non profit donations. You need to charge them. Whatever that is, you have to charge them. Ways to make this type of thing not become so expensive....neevr max out a TF, never max out a home run wire or hub. If you do this then to add or remove a light shouldnt be to hard or expensive to perform. This is another reason I love the hub. Simply add or remove alight whenever you want. You know where your connections are and you have 25ft of wire on your fixtures to play with.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

James is right on the money with his comments. Of course, I know he's not going to be the low bidder on any job he does, and for that matter I bet he's the only bidder most of the time. James has enough of a handle on the business side of his operation that he knows that customer satisfaction means good word of mouth referrals and repeat customers. I also bet he pre-qualifies his customers both to know they can pay what he charges, and to make sure that his aesthetic sense and theirs line up. And he's not really giving anything away for free. Given all that, charging extra for moving a few fixtures after the install seems a little tacky at best.

8. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

My guess is that you got it right, or pretty close-too the first time(five mths. is a lifetime for a callback).I dont think their satisfaction warrants your loss of income, much less a freebie.
    James right on the money, not!. We have as much work as we can handle here in the Northeast.

9. Cedar Valley Landscapes

Cedar Valley Landscapes LawnSite Member

Just remember a happy customer might tell one person about how great it was to work with you, but an unhappy customer will tell everyone they know about how horrible it was. It doesnt mean that you have to give things away to them but be resonible in coming back and helping them out. Meet them halfway or dont put a 3 man crew out there. Keep your costs low and work with the customer to a point where you are both happy with the final product.

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

A: I'm sorry, I don't think we have had the pleasure of an introduction.

B: Glad you have so much work... but given the original example in this thread you have just called the client an "Idiot" in a public forum. You might want to re-think this.

C: Just what is a granola peddler anyway? I have the sense that you are slinging an insult at me, but since I have no clue as to the meaning of your reference it has pretty much rolled off my back as laughable.

D: Did your mother not ever teach you the "Golden Rule"? For your benefit, it goes something like this.... "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."

Have a nice day.