1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I was asked to bid on a job today

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by queen of spades, Jun 8, 2008.

1. queen of spades

queen of spades LawnSite Member

Hi, I started a garden service earlier this year. I plow & till gardens and beds of all sizes and have done OK with it. A woman called me today and wanted to know if I'd like to bid on a grading job. I haven't seen the site yet (going to look later today), but I'm unsure how to bid.

My tractor is much smaller than a bobcat, so it may take me a little longer to do the work - I would have to price as though I had a bobcat though, and just eat the time invested. I'd really like to do this job since my goal is to upgrade tractors so I can take on more like this.

Any suggestions on how to go about bidding?
  2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Need more information,whats involved etc. When you find out let us know.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Tell her it's your first grading job and you're excited, but since this involves a learning curve that in the way of the compromise you're willing to go easy on the price.

Then give it your best shot but you're already on the right track when you said the Bobcat would be faster, don't lowball it any worse than you have to but that's about where you need to be with this.

Now you'll lose out some but since it's just this one thing, use this to learn about the many things involved with grading.
    I've done this many times, it's a little bit like they say, start at the bottom and work your way up.
    And don't worry about it, hard work reaps its rewards.
  4. queen of spades

queen of spades LawnSite Member

So I met with the customer today and will bid on the job.. it's pretty straight forward - and a good first opportunity.

Are there standard bid forms available online somewhere?