I was attacked at work today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ZX12R, Jul 17, 2003.

1. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

My left eye and left hand are swollen. Two bees did the damage. Damn that hurt!!:cry:

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

at least you werent assaulted by a client's neighbor.

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

A few years ago I ran over an under ground hive with a mower. I must have been stung 10 times right above my work boots and my hands. The bees were attacking by boots too and the mower. :realmad:

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I hate ground nesting Yellow Jackets.

I keep a can of spray on the trailer for them now.

5. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

I sliced a hornet nest in half with my hedger last year. Never saw it hidden inside the hedge. Only two stings. Hadn't ran that fast in a while.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Could have been much worse. You could have been stung many more times or been allergic to bee stings like I am. Try to look at the positive. Hope you feel better soon.

Gravely_Man

7. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

Yesterday,

After I got off my full time job, I started at about 2:00 and was weed eating at my 1st account, (my great-grandmothers thankfully). and got hit by 10 hornets that made me stop working for the rest of the day. I hope to never get hit by one of those again, and hope no-one else ever does.

Luckily it does not seem that I am allergic to them.

8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely_Man......Thanks,i am better now. I was trimming low branches off a tree when the first bee stung me on my eye brow.I went back to pick up the branches 5 minutes later and was then stung on the hand. I used an old remedy of putting mud on the stung areas every hour or so.This morning,my eye was more swollen than yesterday,but ,i am fine now.Thank God I am not allergic. My dad was in the business years ago,and he was allergic.I remember one time he got stung over his eye,and an hour later,his eye swelled shut. We later had to carry needles for him in case he was stung again. It really is a serious thing if you are allergic as I am sure you know.Hope you never get stung.

glenjr10....Are you kidding? Ten hornets?? Damn,that must have hurt bad! Five years ago,a hornet stung me and I will never forget that nasty buzzing while he was drilling into me. They are worse than yellow jackets! Did you swell up bad or what?

9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

ZX12R; feeling your pain brother! I got drilled last Sat. trimming next to a silt fence that had fallen over.I stepped on the silt fence right where a nest of yellow jackets were.2 of by clients watched as a ran like a bat outta ----. got hit on the shoulder and back.still have 2 big red spots.

10. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Been lucky so far this yr, haven't been stung or bitten by any spiders, just those late evening mosquito's. Hope your feeling better, i usually get hit by them ground nesting Yellow Jackets every yr.........Marks Mowing Service