I was crying today mowing yards....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dklawncare, Mar 18, 2003.

1. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

OK, so I am mowing my first real yards of the season...today, I was mowing this yard on the corner of a busy intersection during rush hour. There were thousands of those little onion plants that are fairly tall compared to rest of the grass right now. Midway through, I couldn't help but cry because of the all of the cut onion plants. What was even more embarrassing is when I saw people in cars start pointing and laughing at me (a few looked really concerned about me). Anyways, what do I about those plants...anything? Or do I just have to suffer the embarrassment and wait til they die out later in the year?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO!! Good thing we didn't pass you! I would get on the owners to have them pay and get rid of them. If he doesn't, I would up his rate.

3. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Midway through, I couldn't help but cry because of the all of the cut onion plants.

I would suggest you get ahold of your feelings, perhaps talk to a friend, possibly a therapist.

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

You might look kinda dumb but wear some swimming goggles.:cool:

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Pull them up and give them to your wife to make some onion soup with. They're actually pretty good.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I hate wild onions!!!!!

They are all over around here too. This is just a bad weed year altogether. I can't remember ever seeing more weeds get such and early start. Along with the onions, there are 2 or 3 varieties of weeds that seem to be particularly bad. I've seen several places that I would consider as "infested" already.

The really bad part is nobody is paying to get rid of them yet. This month has been the pits! I'm truly felling the sting of procrastination this month.

I can't wait for April to get here just for the sake of being able to say March is over....

7. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

I agree with you, this is a very weed infested year so far...i just remember loving those wild onion plants when I was a kid cuz i would pick them and eat them but now i just can't wait for them to die.

8. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had to laugh when I read your post because I did a lawn the other day that was the same way......my eyes burned for 2 hours after.

Question -- has anyone found a treatment that will effectively eliminate wild onion (and wild garlic)? I have had limited success with three way post emergents, but it seems to take up to 3 treatments. If there is something really effective out there I would sure like to know what it is.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I laughed too, I got caught in a wild garlic field once and swore off spaghetti for a year afterward.

Millennium Ultra or Speedzone.

10. adrianvbarrera

adrianvbarrera LawnSite Member

I read somewhere that chewing gum while cutting onions will stop the crying.

Anyone tried that before?

Adrian