1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I was ed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Jul 11, 2000.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I went out tonight to do some mowing (gotta go when my mom gets home, can't drive only 13 yrs. old) and when I got there, the lawn was already mowed! The homeowner is on vacation for 3 months and the only people that could have done it was the "house sitter". What I don't understand is why because they sitter knew I was mowing for them. I don't get it! It's a high maint. job and a difficult one at that. If I show up again and it's mowed, it's adios. I like to see the homeowner's face when he gets home and the lawn is 2 ft. tall. I'll say "your sitter mowed it a couple times and gave up so did I, oh yeah, you owe me you $200 for the times I DID mow it".
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

If you were running a legal business and had a contract with them you could charge them for your time to go out to the job. Thats why we all encourage you guys to get contracts, cause I time like this, you could sit back and laugh at whoevers cutting the lawn, because your getting paid weather you cut it or not!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave...I remember someone having a sample contract. Do you remember who? Maybe you? I must say that it might be a little hard getting a residential customer to sign a contract, but I have been thinking about doing it for any new customers I receive.<p>If anyone has a sample could you please let me know?<p>Thanks!
  4. TURF Editor

TURF Editor LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Why don't you simply find out who is doing the mowing and let them know that you have been hired to do it. Seems a lot easier than getting into a dispute.<p>David
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Turf-I wish I could find out who it was but that was only yesterday. I think when I go back in a week to check to see if it does need mowing, I'll get to the bottom of this.
  6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Scraper - check out &quot;the grassmaster&quot; Dave Fiveash's site: Lawnservicing.com - huge pile of info there on the homepage alone. There are some contracts there for sure! If you can't find it just ask and he'll be sure to help you out.<p>Hope this helps!<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Calm down LOL first of all. Had this happen to me before with do-gooder relatives. A contract,like Guido said would have, would have been best. But since you don't have one, just let the person(when you find them)know you have a verbal contract to take care of the yard. Then let the owners know what happen and that you made a special trip to cut the yard. And that you would appreciate it if the person didn't do it again. Now if the owner lets it happen then you would have a right to ask for a trip charge. But if this is just a one time thing and the owner doesn't know. Then let it slide. There is still alot of summer left and no sense ruining your relationship with them.
  8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag Dude,<br>This just happened to me as well. A vacationer wants service through Aug. I pull up and it is done. The neighbor did it because it was long. I contact the client at the vacation address and explain the situation, and problem is corrected.<p>You need an address to contact these people and a phone number. That way you can solve the problem before you drive out next week to find it done again.<p>By doing so you will also build your credibility with this client and likely receive a positive referral.
  9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I had this done to me except the neighbor went out and hired someone else w/o telling me. I could tell it was done proffesionally. They did not tell me I was not doing it right or anything like that, so how am I supposed to know? If they had told me do something different I would have. It ticked me off, but the yard was a real bumpy one, so I let it go. I am going to make it a point not to ever talk to them. <p>Rick Wallace
  10. richard2

richard2 Banned

dude i'm mowing your lawn now and their isn't a thing you can do about it! you didn't show and you lost the account!