I was fired... ;)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poncho25, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I am sure this won't be the 1st but god it sucked.. Had a client call me up and basically fire me... here's the main issue, in the state of fla, we can not apply pesticides or furt to lawns unless we work with a company for 5 years...so this clients lawn was getting bad cinch bugs, and other fungus, I would advise her what to do, even told her what to get and that if she got it, then I would apply it....well her lawn was getting worse an worse, and to boot, she was only watering it like once every two weeks, and was not watering the back...so everything started to spread...to which she blamed me...i had to bite my tongue and take it...even knowing there was nothing more that I could have done, which i wish i would have been able to ...... then to boot, she was complain about the cut...an just kept going on an on...I let her rant and told her that I was sorry. God that sucked!!! But I was approached today at another clients house and got another new client, so..... still sucks to lose one like that.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Get used to it. It will happen more then you think but then again you will find someone else to take there place.

3. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

Why don't you look into subcontracting your fert. to another licensed company? Then in 5 years, or however long you have left to wait, just take them over.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Fact of life. I like bobcat's idea to sub out the fert and pesticide. Good deal on getting a new client as well.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If the customer was not listening to your suggestions, she deserves what see got. When I drive by my customer's properties and notice something, I will stop then (if the time is appropriate) and speak with the customer. It sucks getting blamed for problems that are not your fault but if the customer really feels that way, I am just better off with-out them and I won't let them put me down. JMO

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats Lawn Care...you lose some..or drop them...and gain some right back. After a while once you've gone through a lot of the weeding out process... you get a pretty good core of customers that you actually like...and that makes life so much greater! lol

7. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow you all rock...i mean, I am a pretty tough guy, but it did effect me, cause like you all, I take pride in my trade, and was a bit hurt by what was said to me...but you guys really helped me to feel better about the issue...

THANKS ALL :) :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: FOR ALL!!!

I got another call tonight at 9pm, let it goto voice mail, but a neighbor of one of my clients in a nice part of tampa, :) wants me to give them a bid.

again thanks all!!

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Doing a good job (any trade) is the best advertisment. Not bad for the second Monday of the week.

9. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Your gonna get those customers. Your better off walking away.

10. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

you can do the fert just not the pest part. no license is need in fl to apply fert to lawns period.