I was just thinking...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BVLAWNCARE, Jun 16, 2004.

1. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Hey guys.
    I was just doing some thinking about Insurance. Im too young to have it now but I was just wondering exactly what we need unsurance for? Like is it if me or one of my employees gets hurt on the job we'd be coverd for the medical bills? Or something similar? What if me or an employee tripped on something in the customers yard (i.e. The grass was wet on one spot or a hose was fallen over) does that mean we cant sue if we have insurance. Obviously I'm confused!

Another thing... What about properry damage. What if an employee or myself dents their car with a piece of my equipemtn (i.e. my pick up truck hits their car or I scratch with the weed wacker or a rock breaks their window or what have you) Does insurance cover that too?

Thanks for the help adios

2. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

BVLawncare, how old are you. I'm 18 and was able to get insurance. Anyways, mine covers mainly damage to other's property. I have a $400 deductible, so any damage over that my insurance covers. I cut for a while without insurance, but I sure do feel alot better now.

3. BVLAWNCARE

BVLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

yes thats what i thought. Thanks for the reply and im 16 so yea im still 2 young i think and im saving for more quip and a bigger trailer to afford it anyways right now.

ciao and thanks

4. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I am 15 and have been thinking about the insurance thing lately also. Josh18 how much do you have to pay for your insurance?

Thanks...

5. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

I am paying around $430/yr. I paid $95 down, and I pay roughly $35 for 10 months. It seems like a lot if you have a small business like myself (11 accounts) but I am still making a decent profit IMO.

6. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I only have around 10 accounts also, so I hate to spend the money. It will be my luck I will send something through a window.

7. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

Yea, I got by for a year, luckily. But it's worth the investment if you can make the payment, which isn't that much.

8. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

I'm an old fart, but if my 16 year-old son was cutting lawns as a business, I think that I would protect myself by getting his insurance for him in my name (of course I'd make him pay for it) ... Papa could be liable since you are under age.

Just something to ponder ...