I was shocked!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnrich, Jan 13, 2007.

1. lawnrich

lawnrich LawnSite Member

I was shocked when i was looking into buying a curbing machine they are $4000-$5000 for such a simple machine. The profit must be unbeliveale.
    The website said cost per foot is .45 per foot but you can charge $3.00 to $5.00 a foot.
    Can you really charge $5 a foot? I dont see people paying that around here.

SOSINC LawnSite Member

I was kicking the idea around too. There are only two guys in a 25 mile radius that do this where I am at. They are getting $7-$9 per foot for it here.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

$1 dollar a foot,thatz right that is the going price here can they pay off the machine and still make a profit,thatz for color also.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what part of the country you live in. Housing prices and service prices very a great deal depending on where you live. In California they may get as much $10 ft Chicago $7-9 ft New York may be as high as $12 ft if not more. There are poor states and states with more money look up the median income for your state that will give you a good idea what the market will tolerate but I think $1 ft is giving it away and wont stay in business very long at that price.
  5. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure that curbing is all that popular or practical. I would be afraid of spreading yourself too thin by offering this kind of service. You see a great deal of those machines and trailer/machine packages for sale all the time. I think that there would be the issue of call backs when the concrete cracks as the earth under it shifts or someone hits it with a mower.
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

seen alot of curbing companies that come an go . it seems like they get into it an dont realize the amount of work it takes to install these curbs .You also must have the rite marketing as well as the rite clientel.The downfall with doing permanent curbing is that you can never change as with traditional shovel edged beds you can change the bed style, width ,length , etc. hope this helps thanks george