I Was Surrounded By Crazy People Today! (need some advice)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Something was in the air today. This morning this next door neighbour of a client I mow for asked me to use the trimmer to knock down some long grass and small trees by her garage. It was only about 2'x8' so i said no prob. I start doing the job and the next thing I know she has her stupid face 6 feet from the end of my Echo looking at I have no clue what :eek: I yell at her as loud as I can "WATCH YOUR EYES!!" and pull the trimmer up.. This wasnt just grass there was small branches, gravel, roots and everything in there and stuff was flying everywhere.. I coundt believe how dumb she was... ;)

Later today this lady who I blow snow for in the winter come up to me and lays this bomb. Last winter I had punctured the tire on her little Geo car and had bought her a new tire (same as the other 3) and installed it on the rim and put it on the car in her driveway for her. She was happy and so was I as we took care of it with cash. Anyway she comes up to me today and says "both my front tires are ruined with the "wires" showing on them.. the garage said they needed to be alligned.. since you didnt get my car alligned when you changed the tire I want you to pay for 2 more new tires and an alignment" :confused: I told her Id get back to her ;) I dont want her back next winter for plowing but Im not sure how to handle it.. Im not liable am I ?????

2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

My favorite words, oh hell no. Her allignment was probably screwed before anyway. You fixed her friggin tire you busted which is the right thing to do. Last time I checked, it did not include an alignment. If she had wires showing, she busted through the radial which means it was her friggin fault. And to do that in like 6 months, she must not how to drive one stinkin bit. I would have told her to get f'd, but thats how I am when people are completely ********. If you can wear through radials on on a friggin Geo, you belong in the demolition derby. I would have laughed at her so bad it would not have been funny. So no, you dont her crap. You busted her tire, not her stinkin alignment. And you also aint a tire shop either.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

What he said, then add " take a hike, eh!". You canadian guys are getting some good stories lately, but you got a long way to go to reach bobbyg status..lol

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think the air must be a little thinner up there...lol

5. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'd asked her how many miles she had on the GEO. Then how many on that set of tires. When she told me 80,000 on the tires, I'd told her to kiss off.

Everyone thinks we are flush with CASH and an easy TARGET.

Mike

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Tell her to get a JOB and buy them herself.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually, if you just mounted a car tire on a rim and didn't have it spin balanced, that could cause really fast wear if it was off, though I can't imagine how she couldn't have noticed the front tires bouncing along the highway. I've noticed trailer tires I've had mounted but not balanced wore fast from cupping due to being out of balance.

Alignment wouldn't be the problem, and you had no obligation to re-align the car with a new tire. The 2nd tire you didn't mount would indicate to me that her alignment was the problem from the beginning.

She also was contributarily negligent because she let the tires wear to the belts and didn't inspect them. Any problem you caused (or didn't) could have been solved after just minor extra wear.

Overall, I'd tell her she can prove you caused the damage in court or go pound sand. I've owned lots of cars, LOTS. From pickups to BMW's, and some will always claim a realignment is "needed" when you change tires. But I put new tires and wheels on my wife's car and it has perfect wear at 20,000 miles. I changed one single tire on a car with very fine steering/alignment specs, a BMW 540i, and it was fine with no alignment. So I doubt the lack of aligning it with a new tire was the problem. I'm sure in some cases it could cause SOME extra wear, but nothing drastic if the tire was the right size.

8. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

I've read some horror customer stories here on Lawnsite but all the customers I've had so far in my short time have been absolutely wonderful, I know it can't last though :( and maybe I just think they're all wonderful now because in my previous job I used to deal with bikers who occasionally wanted to kill me :eek: