I Was Told Hustler Is Testing 34 Hp Kawie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My local Cub dealer is a tailhole also.
    That's why I bought a Lesco from 80 miles away instead of a Cub here locally.

I've not heard real impressive fuel consumption numbers on the 29hp L/C DFI.

You can read here that I have had the same complaint about turning my Ztwo.
    Turns out the biggest part of it was the castle nuts on top of the casters were applying too much pre-load on the roller bearings. Loosened them one notch and it helped tremedously. No problems except on shady lawns where stuff is super tender.

The wheelbase on them now is really short. I think they are the shortest 60" available now. The front fork rake is still too steep in angle / though. They are almost straight up, so the front forks do not spin as easily as others. But I'm sure the newer models feel better than the 2000 models.

Anyways, I personally still feel that the machine does feel a bit lumbersome underneath me. It gives the illusion of front heaviness, but it is really NOT. It's a 75/25 balance F/R... and I know for a FACT that the feeling is illusion because I have tried counter-weighting the machine heavily to the rear and there is really no effect. Just makes the front bounce around more and takes away the beautiful striaght-line tracking the machine has. The issue is in the steepness of the fork rake.

Hustler is supposed to eventually offer flex forks for other machines and as soon as they do, I'm getting a pair because they have nice rake on them. Unless I get restless and have some custom ones made....

All in all though, I'm happy with my Ztwo... really happy actually. While I do not mind sharing my personal preference dislikes about the machine, they are nothing that would make me change brands, that's for sure.

It will take a good company like Hustler making a machine that can match it's performance, reliablity and cut quality to even get my attention on another brand.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I figured that engine would chart in at 37hp or so... guess not.

I know a 34hp will be a hit with Super Z owners, as all of them say the power is needed.
    But personally, I think they need to stay focused on DECK testing/R&D.

:sleeping: I say who cares if it's 34hp?... Wake me up when they build one that CUTS GRASS :sleeping:

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Funny, I was think'in the same thing......:cry:

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I really never thought Kawi would be the one building this 1L A/C engine.

I hope the rumor IS true, but I just purchased, so unless other items are improved (maybe a new northern deck, etc), I'll likely have to stay with what I got for at least another 3 seasons.

5. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

They cut grass beautiful if you use the deck for what it was designed to do. They designed it for FLorida so I am real happy but I will more than likely be swicthing to the Z2 because of that top notch fertilizer salesmen support!

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I heard rumors of a big HP machine coming from cub.:)

7. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have heard alot of bad things about the new Kawasaki's is it true? The last thing I would want is a turkey motor on a 10,000 $ mowing unit with a bad warranty and hard to get parts.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't heard anything like that. I've run Briggs, Kohler's, Kawasaki's, and small Honda's. By far, Kawasaki is the best most dependable engine there is IMO.

By the way, Hustler sent me a standard email saying they're sending me dealer info. and product brochures in the mail.:dizzy: What the heck do I want that for? Maybe they'll actually read the email and respond on Monday.

As for the DFI/EFI comparison, I don't know if there's any difference. One stands for digital and the other stands for electronic. Probably two different names for the same thing.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I thought DFI stood for direct fuel injection instead of digital. I may be wrong? No expert at these small engines.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure...

But the DFI 29 Kawi isn't really all that.

It's not much more powerful than the 27, and that was nothing to write home about.

We need displacement. 7XX cc's aren't enough for what we have.

900 to 1000 and fuel injection to keep it efficient.