I was told why Exmark and Scag don't have Standers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Dec 15, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

A guy was telling me Wright and Dane's patent on the stander expires soon and we'll see Standers made by Scag, Exmark etc. I'm skeptical, but if it's true I'd be happy. I think Stander/Surfers are great designs (mowers.)
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Dane and JD have been acquired by Everride, so there will be 2 stand ons in the market: Wright and Everrride. Others may follow, but will be behind the curve in R&D and advertising , where the others are established stand on companies. I was hoping to see some big improvements in the new Scorpion this spring.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree... if Toro/eXmark came out with a stand-on mower, they would out-sell Wright 'year-one'.
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I will agree with that. Id purchase an exmark over a wright every day... oh wait, I already do.

Patents are for 10 years, and I do believe Wright's is coming due very soon. I think 06. If this is true, Everride just made a bad decision. Why purchase their way into this liscensing arangement when they can just enter it on their own next year or two.
  5. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

why haven't the others come out with a stander already? So, what i get from this is that because of a patent, exmark can't make a walk behind that is a stand on also? Is that accurate?
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Part of Bill Wright's patent dictated the minimum distance from the wheels to the deck and also some other critical dimensions. After Dane Scagg lost the lawsuit concerning patent infringement he had to make some major changes to the design of his mowers.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If Everride has acquired JD, did the whole line get acquired? Or, will JD continue to offer ztr mowers, and not a stand-on model?
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Very true, if exmark, Scag and toro were to enter the market, they would out do wright immediately.

It would be cool if Lesco came out with one, that way you could buy one and try it out for a much lower price. I havw a few developments that I could ude a stander as my main mower.
  9. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Everride purchased Great Dane only. They will continue to build the Quik Trak (I think this is the model, the stand on mower for John Deere) for a set time.
  10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member