I went golfing today....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewLawn, Jun 10, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

this was my first time ever golfing,i mean,really golfing,ive done putt putt before of course.Anyway,I was amazed at how short the grass was,i mean,i always knew the green's grass was short,but I mean,this was like 1/8 of a centimeter.Anyway,what kind of grass do they use for those greens......bentgrass?If I ever get around to landscaping projects,I'd like to put greens grass in one of my customers yards,that would be awesome,plus I'd get to mow it twice a week instead of once...also,golf is funner than i though,i always thought it was old rich fat men who were in country clubs,which is true....but,i dunno,id like to be the happy gilmore golfer:)

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you always answer your own questions....Yes Bentgrass is the usually grass for greens, Bermuda as well (heavily sanded too). You would also need a reel mower to get a cut like that. I wouldn't call Tiger Woods a old fat guy...

Here is a link if you ever wanted to put a green in your back yard..
    http://www.putting-greens.com/

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think you could get away with mowing twice a week,you would need to mow 3 times st the very least and 4-5 preferably.We mow at 3/32 and for tournaments the heights are usually lower.We use providence ,and penncross creeping bentgrass on our greens.I take pride in my greens,right now they are looking great,I hope to have my digital camera loading next week,so ill get some pics as soon as i do.

4. lawnboykb

lawnboykb LawnSite Member

We mow ours at 5/32 everyday! And we never let it go more then 2 days even in bad weather.
    Not to slam anyone but it takes a LOT of work and know how to be able to grow bent. That 10-10-10 fertilizer would never do....

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

A client of mine almost bought a house that had a 12000 sq. ft green. I was looking forward to learning and mowing m-w-f every week. deal fell through. Dave g