I will give a cookie to the man who fits a canister filter to the Briggs ELS!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 25, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I really wish they offered canister filters for the ELS engines. I really prefer at least a small canister to the cartridge filter Briggs uses right now. The cartridge is not a bad filter mind you, but since Scag and others put the ELS on commercial grade machines, why not make the mower as commercial grade as possible and put a canister on there too? :drinkup:

2. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Because the sole purpose of the ELS equipped Scag is to cut costs. Lower grade engine, non adjustable controls, non-foldable ROPS, etc.

Why not just put a foldable ROPS on it instead? Or adjustable controls? Or just put everything back on and get rid of the ELS equipped model.

3. tb8100

from TX

folks can sacrifice a folding rops and adjustable controls, but a canister filter isn't something you should sacrifice at all if you're cutting commercially.

4. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

A canister filter isn't necessary just because you are cutting commercially. A non-canister filters just as well. You just have to clean/change it more often, and even that depends on your mowing environment. And I think you are missing the point of them offering the ELS model. It was to cut cost and try to appeal to the homeowner with a crap load of property and the taste for a full fledged commercial mower without all the extras, that a commercial mower doesn't normally consider extras. Get it? They weren't trying to be as commercial as possible with that model.

5. tb8100

from TX

No, I fully understand why they offer the Cub in a stripped down version with the ELS. I don't care how you look at it, if properly maintained, an engine with a good Donaldson/Fleetguard/Enginaire air intake will last longer than one with the stock filtration.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

And one with a Amsoil bypass oil filter will last about 33% longer than the canister filtered engine too. They cost money and very few mower manufacturers offer them as standard equipment.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Juan Deere, now that's funny!
    Back to the thread. Oh nevermind, just buy a different model. Tony