I will let LawnSite community decide this one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Sep 7, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Customer called last night at 9:15pm. I don't answer the business phone that late. She leaves a message stating that she wants to cancel service.

The crew is always given tomorrow's mowing schedule the night before. They start cutting at 7:00am and they never check in with me in the morning.

I call and leave a message for her this morning around 9:30am with her receptionist stating that I am returning her call.

The crew mowed her lawn a few minutes ago. She calls and says they just finished mowing and she wants to verify that I will not be charging for today's cut. I explain that I feel today's cut is in fact billable. She left a message the day before a cut was scheduled at 9:30pm and my crews already have tomorrow's schedule by that time. I explain that my crews don't have cell phones and I have no way to contact them during the day. She doesn't believe me.

I know she could tell I was pizzed by the tone of my voice. At the end of the conversation she says "Ok. Fine. If you really think I should pay for today's cut, go ahead and bill it."

I am set up on next day credit cards and she gave me authorization to charge her card...reluctantly.

Should I charge for the cut? I do feel that she owes the money but I don't know if it is a smart business decision to charge her for it.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

Why did she not go outside to tell your crew not to cut?

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I think it your responsibility to get in touch with the crew leader the next morning before they leave. It would have not risen to this if you did call.

I could not imagine not being able to get in touch with the crew..

John

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

yes you should and cut it next week too my contract states you need to tell me 2 weeks ahead about cancellation.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Charge her. She already canceled and you already did the work. And don't worry about her hurting your rep. If its on thin ice she's gonna burn you anyway and if its solid she will have no effect on it. You did the work now get your money.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Yeah, but does he have a contract??

7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

My crew leaders call me if there is a problem. Other than that, I have no way of contacting them during the day.

There just isn't enough money in this business to provide cell phones for crew leaders and I explained that to this customer. Besides, this would be about the only reason I would ever need to contact my crew leaders during the day...to tell them not to mow the lawn of a customer who has cancelled or wants to skip a cut. Why would I spend the money to do that?

Curious to see what others think of this.

One vote customer...zero votes lawn mowing company.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Don't matter John, who takes business calls at 9:15 PM

9. TXLAWNBOY

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

John, I agree w/you I talk to my crew several times a day. I do wonder why someone didn't tell the crew not to mow, however I would not charge for the cut. The reason being I would not want to burn any bridges.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

It is a verbal contract...the customer commits to a six cut minimum and they are allowed to cancel anytime after that with no obligation.

This isn't the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. So far, everytime it's happened in the past the customer has been reasonable about it.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper