I will not do your yard EVER!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I get a call yesterday for a lawn care estimate so i go over today and he wants an estimate for a lawn apporx 16,000-19,000 sq ft. He just wants it cut and wanted a price he said that he wants to have the lawn cut every 2 weeks and i told him that i do not have any customers that i cut every 2 weeks. Since it was right next to another customer i do, i would do it. I told him that i would mulch it and he was OK with that. I then told him it would be $50 and he told me " You can stop right now that's crazy", he told me to leave. As i was walking back to my truck he throws his hands up in the air and said Scott will do it for $40 ( Scott is a local LCO that i get along with ). I did not respond to his comment but it did get me thinking, he was awfully upset that i was not cheaper than his current lawn care provider and why was he mad at me about it. The home is in a newly developed area and he has a 3 car garage 2 RV's brand new Chevy Colorado with 14 day plates and 2 other cars. NOW THE KICKER I just got home and called Scott and told him that his customer was price shopping and that i did not know it was his account till the customer mentioned his name. I told him the story above and he told me that he does charge $40 per cut but he cuts EVERY week. Now i just love it because he wanted to save $$ but he is spending more than i would charge. I am ALMOST hoping he calls back and wants me to cut for him because if he does it will now be $80 + bi-weekly and i am still not sure if i will take it. On second thought i will not take it i don't want to do work for this PITA EVER.:clapping:

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Once a pita, always a pita.

Plenty of good customers to go around. These pitas what something for nothing.

kc

3. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Wow-- Aren't they clever SOB's. That's cool how you knew Scott and that he cut it weekly for $40.00 & you offered the guy every 2 weeks for $50.00. Good thing you held your ground and priced it well. They certainly do shop it around. It's sickening. The local paper has ads for more guys doin' lawn work this season than I've ever seen it. I gave a $50 estimate yesterday, ton of trimming, haven't heard back yet. I used to cut this guy 2 years ago for $35, but he moved to a lot bigger house & lot, farther away. So it's $15 more--big wiff. I told him if I hadn't known him it would've been closer to $60. Oh well. Everyones in the biz and the customers are shoppin'! Stay sharp!

BTW Do you mulch this grass up here, during spring growth?

Best

Hillndale

4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont Mow on a regular schedule the yard will decline, and you will get blamed for that. I would charge him 79.50 to mow every two weeks make him sign a waiver that he understands it will hurt the turf in the long run. Then he saves approx. 1.00 per month and can pinch his pennies.

5. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

Hillndale

no i dont but i was not going to bag for him or that price.

Xterminator

I like the waiver idea.:waving:

6. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

then charge him for re-seeding

7. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

That's good to know, 'cause I was gonna ask you how the heck you did it, mulch that is.:laugh:

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The part that's sick is the bi-weekly for 40, see that's what gets me... I can tolerate someone wanting it weekly for 35 for example, but it's never like that, it's like some can't be happy unless they're getting at least half off... The part that frustrates me is that they scam us to try and get it because the guy lied to you (well he didn't reveal the whole truth, and in this case that is dishonest).

You did the right thing, the fool almost had you but once again, it wasn't good enough and he wanted MORE, and that's where he lost out. I've been through this a few times in the past couple months and can only say I heave some sigh of relief once I realized how close to lowballing (and then having to do the work) I've gotten while, lucky me, they were still disagreeing.

You gave the man a really good deal and all he had to do was say ok, and you would've worked hard for your money.
    But, you got lucky lol <- Seems lately, this happens to me a lot... Beats being had, for sure.

9. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

IN Maine we or i try to get customers that want the lawn cut every week from the beginning of May till the end of October. I try for 26 visits, the problem is most people think that lawn only need cutting about 13 times a year and still think you should do that at half your rate. :dizzy:

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

it would be funny if scott dumped him now.