i will not sign a contract

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 7, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i got some work in this real nice development, so i put fliers out in the whole development in an effort to get more clients there. well, i got a phone call for an estimate, i went by, and gave her a price, she says can u do it for $5 less? i said no way. she said if u do, ill get my 2 neighbors hire u too. i said well, y would i want to do u, and all yur neighbors for $5 less than what its worth? she said, no, just charge them regular, and give me the discount for getting them 4 u. i said, well, if they agree to my price, i can do it. i went by today with contracts, they all refused to sign a contract, said they would rather do it "on the honor system" i laughed, said no thanks, and politely left. i just got this gut feeling, if they wouldnt sign a simple agreement, which really only says ill do xyz work, and u will pay xyz for it, i have to think they r not trustworthy. would any of u guys have just said ok, and started working?

2. nuthinlikeadame

nuthinlikeadame LawnSite Member

Personally, I view this as a test. If five dollars is a sticking point for them you'll definately have problems with them later. Not to mention the fact that they don't want anything to do with your contract. Let the neighbor boy screw it up for them.

3. NO
    I'm with you 100%-no sign,no work
    Yep-honor what you say, but say it in writting, its improves memory greatly

That gut feeling is experience

4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

You don't need people like that, they're just going to be more trouble and headaches than it's worth, especially if they won't sign a contract.

Hank

5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need a contract. I have been on the "honor system" with all my customers for 8 years, no problems.

Once, I had a Patel Hotel not pay, and the judge ruled in my favor when I sued, even though there was no contract just a verbal agreement.

Ken

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, i like to sleep at night, and since getting most of my customers on contracts, i can sleep. not many guys will go to court for say $50-$60, but the mental anguish it would cause, knowing that i allowed someone to beat me, would kill me.

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't normally use contracts either. I prefer to do business with a handshake. In some cases, however, I will use a work order.

As far as $5 being a sticking point, it depends what you're talking about. If you mean a job you bid $125 a week to mow, and she says $120, maybe you can give her her way, but if you said $25 and she wants $20, that's another thing.

I don't use a dartboard for pricing, I measure the lawn. I know I can cut X sq ft in so much time, and do Y edging and trmming in so much time, and it will take Z time to blow off the walk. It sounds as if she has either had other quotes, or more likely, she just wanted to beat you down a little.

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pat yourself on your back you did the right thing! NO contract No work!

9. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I don't use contracts right now because I'm a minor, everyone I asked around town told me it wouldn't be legally binding. But once I'm 18 EVERYTHING will be on a contract, gotta cover yourself.

Hank

10. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to here that Hank! Its really the only way to do business, That way your customers have the exact service your providing at this exact cost. Your customers will have the exact service provided and billing info. Hand shakes to me are a thing of the past but we are over 50% commercial and a hand shake will not do with the big corperate buildings we maintain. Good to see your looking ahaid Hank.