1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I Will Own An Exmark HP 46 At 7:00 AM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr Ricochet, May 26, 2006.

1. Mr Ricochet

Mr Ricochet LawnSite Member

After 3 years of cutting with a Metro 48 with a proslide this old man can finally justify a Z rider and, despite some of the bad stories about the Triton I will have on my trailer the HP 46 and a 36 Metro by 8:00 AM........Guys with the Triton deck give me some feedback on these machines. What kind of blades do I use, what about the baffle set up, anything to help a first time Z owner would be greatly appreciated. I'll be cutting cool season zone 5 turf........Straight into the frying pan as I have 10 props to do after I pick up the machine.............Wish a broken down old union man some luck.
  2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck!! Just keep the wheels turning and dont make tight turns around the house or in front of commercials before learning. Let us know how you like and dislike.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Your going to want the high lift blades for side discharge. If it has the super high lifts, they create so much lift and the deck has so much vacuum already that it will pick dirt particles up and sandblast the blades in a half a day. Thats what my problem was.

Theres a post in the exmark forum that has an attached file that shows where baffles should be. I've left my side baffle all the way open (they claim thats for wet conditions) and that seems to be best, I tried closing it up some and it wouldn't cut very good, just layed the grass down.

If your addicted to stripes, get a stripe kit for it, mower won't stripe for crap here.
  4. Mr Ricochet

Thanks guys. kc2006 I"ve been following that thread in the Exmark forum as well as your posts. It would have taken two days for my thread just to appear on that forum so I started one here......... All I know is Exmark and, have never had a problem so I went with the HP 46. Told my dealer about the problems some have been having and, he assured me that he will make it right one way or the other. He runs two crews and, they both run the Tritons so, I'm giving it a try..........I and my customers are addicted to stripes so yes stripe kit, mulch kit, suspension seat, blade blocker and deck lift assist will all come along with it..............................I'll post about my experience tonight.
  5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if you are getting the mulch kit why do you need the blade blocker? installing and removing a mulch kit is a pain in the butt.

6. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Good luck with your new machine. Now go make money!
  7. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Youll like it dont forget to lower the deck when you start
    My first time I mowed with mine I had been mowing about10 min before I realized I hadnt lowered the deck:hammerhead:
  8. Mr Ricochet

It has now been one week and I have enough experience now to comment...............The cut is better than any Metro I have ever run. After reading about guys having problems with the cut, I couldn't be happier. It discharges 3 passes over which can be a problem. It discharges very low, maybe 6 inches high tops but, discharges much farther than you think. I thought it might be underpowered at 19 hp but, it goes through anything. The machine is quieter than my 15 hp Metro. I've got a stripe kit on it but, doesn't come close to laying a stripe like my Metro with a Proslide...........All in all so far being on this machine is unreal.