1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I win.....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Jul 10, 2007.

1. This system has been in place for 21 years...h/o installed it.....he had a competitor out to replace the top left valve while I was on my large job and couldn't get to him...

The competitor "had a cat" (his words) when he saw the system and refused to warranty any of his work and tried to get my client to sign a waiver....

I gave him a price to install an RP and 12 valves in boxes outside...seems the old guy didn't realize what "could" happen in the event of a crack or break...

Anyway..long story short...this sort of debunks the myth that these valves break all the time....he has had 2 problems in 21 years....2.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If a problem did occur it could just be used as a spritzer for the ironing. :)
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Nice. Real nice. I would have thought real hard about working on that one considering the recent flooded basement episode I had.

One of my guys called me yesterday and asked if I had worked on the job he was servicing. He said the PVB was sideways and wasn't sure if he should work on it. I told him it had to work that way the last few years, so just get it going. It was actually for a friend of my girlfriend, so it was kind of a favor anyway. I saw one like that about 10 years ago.
  4. Weird things happen in basements.
  5. alf51175

alf51175 LawnSite Member

Wonder how many bits it took to drill all those holes in the wall.
  6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

They look like AVB electric valves and should be installed 12" above the highest head. A certified tester/tech. should not even work on the system unless they are correcting it to meet code.
  7. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I wondered about that too. Which means that they must be higher than the highest heads because all the water would drain into the basement every time the system ran and shut off.
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

well if you think about it, they have been inside, not exposed to weather or the elements, I would think they'd last a long time too.

but I would not want that set up in my basement...I could almost guarantee you that if a pipe broke that any insurance company would laugh their ass off while they denied your claim...
  9. irritation

Which means there are 12 pipes coming out of the house at least 12" above ground. That has to be a good look.;)
  10. irritation

It also looks like inline check valves are installed on some of the valves, maybe to prevent drainage back into the basement.