I wish I had a bigger lawn!!! (Need mower advice)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by stealthy, Jun 24, 2004.

1. stealthy

stealthy LawnSite Member

After reading all these posts and looking at the mowers, I wish I had a bigger yard to justify buying a cool zrt or wb. However, I just bought a house and have a 1/3 acre lot. I am currently using a 21" push mower with 5.0hp B&S Quantum engine (not even self-propelled!!!) and it takes me about 2 hrs to mow. This is mainly due to the 15-20 degree slope of the back yard (80% of total yardage). I've been mowing for the last 3 months and can't take it anymore :help:

Anyhow, can someone recommend a good rider? I am considering a few Sears' Craftsmans (LT2000, DLT 3000), Husqvarna, John Deere (LT110) etc. from Lowe's and Home Depot, etc. I want to stay under $1500.

Is it possible to find a good ZRT or WB in this price range? I am just going to be using this for my yard. Are there other brands I should be considering?

You guys are the expert and I could use the advice!
    Thanks!

BTW: This is a great forum and lots of great info. I even found out how you guys make those pretty stripes! :)

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

You should be able to find a nice hydro walk behind, 32" or 36" for that price. Would take about 5-10 minutes tops to cut your lawn.

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

used that is i would check out a 36 inch hydro or belt i love the belts more then the hydros

4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You could check the dealers, see if they have any trade-ins for sale. Three years ago, I bought an old Exmark belt drive 48 WB for 400 bucks. Recently, they had a fairly new Scag 48 WB belt drive for 1900.
    Crawdad

5. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck LawnSite Member

Check out the link for the Better Quick 36. It's at the top of the page, one of lawnsite's sponsors.

6. stealthy

stealthy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I looked at the Quick 36, looks nice for the money. I'm going to check out the local dealers for trade-ins like you guys suggested. Wish me luck!

And thanks again!

7. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

check out my response here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75320
    If you have a good hill you will not be happy with the rider. I had one and sold it because it was not safe enough to mow the hill sideways and also had trouble going up it. Buy the WB...the time you save is worth it. Plus you'll look like a pro.