i wish my tthp went faster

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, May 5, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i got a new mower and boy does it look nice when i get done with thiis thing.

i just wish i could get some more speed out of the thing. expecially on the long straight a ways. there is plenty of power there and the grass cut is great. i have the velke 2X and it rides really well. i almost want to get off my cart and start pushing the mower.

i really doubt there is anyway of making it faster without bigger tires. i just wanted to bring it up.
  2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a proslide on my husqvarna and I too wish it went faster
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You go full out and it still cuts well? I was going to start a thread today, asking how fast tthp users cut. On average I have mine set at 4.5 or 5, but only 6 when transporting and not cutting. Of course it depends on whether you are mulching or discharging, heavy/thick growth or not.

I almost bet you are discharging.
  4. grass disaster

yes i discharge and the grass was not very thick at all. by the way i have the 48" floater
  5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

how can that be? my lazer hp uses the same deck as the tthp does it not? I can cut 4" of growth w/the mulch kit at 8 mph. btw, it only has an 18 kohler on it.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Try cutting downhill see if this helps.
  7. grass disaster

actually mr comedian it does help. it feels more like the proper speed when i fly down a hill.
  8. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

A hydro should go the same speed down the hill as it does on flat land. If it goes faster, either your tires are sliding, or something else is wrong :dizzy:

Anyway, I have cut with my TTHP full out (on 6) for wide open areas, but most of my smaller residentials, I cut about 4.5. It does a great job, even at the higher speeds, but there is such a thing as going to fast in a confined space, trying to stop to fast, or turn to fast, and tearing up the grass. So thats why I limit it on the smaller props.

I do wish the transport speed was higher though. It seems my Metro HP is faster in 5th gear. Maybe I should race them and see which one wins? ;)

9. chuskey

chuskey LawnSite Member
    from NC

That's one of the reasons I went from an Exmark to a Hustler wb. Ground speed is 8 mph. I'm using a bullrider sulky so it really comes in handy on properties where I have a lot of pavement to cross.
  10. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also cut at 4.5-5. I've cut at 6 but only when the grass was thin. I'm not saying the TTHP can't cut good at 6 (6.3mph), It's just around here with the many bumps on the lawns the mower would be bouncing around too much making it hard to stay in a straight line.

TCLawn, I bet it's because your LHP has bigger wheels which help absorb bumps and keep you more in control.