I wonder if eXmark will make a stand-on to compete with Toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 16, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Anyone know? :confused:

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a vid of the Toro version http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/stand_on/stand_on_mower.html

One thing I did notice and don't much care for...

You have what looks to be about an 8" step up to use the mower. I have to bend over now, at times, to get under limbs and stuff even when I'm walking my mowers. There will also be a perception that the mower is very top heavy since the user will be so far up.

Oh, and the original question?

Just as soon as they can paint them a slightly different red and slap an Exmark deck on it.

3. tb8100

from TX

Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed with the Toro design. I wasn't sure if Toro gave eXmark designs like that. I know they like to copy eXmark though.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you not know that Toro owns Exmark?

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Id buy a wright over that any day!!!! Wrights got it down pat.

6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

According to the eXmark rep on LawnSite, there is no plan for a stander. I wouldn't put it past them, though. It would probably be better than Toro's.

7. wallyturcotte

wallyturcotte LawnSite Member

they are pretty much the same company......its like chevy and gmc

8. tb8100

from TX

I'm well aware of that, but just because they have the same parent company doesn't mean they'll automatically have the exact same equipment lineup. This is why you dont see a 26" Proline, or a Toro Frontrunner, and so forth. My understanding is, Toro has done more adapting to eXmark designs rather than the other way around it seems.

9. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I'd rather have a dedicated stander without the fold-up platform. I think it might have problems with the operator being behind the wheels. I'll stick with my Everride!

10. tb8100

from TX

similar, yes. The same? No, not really. Their model lineups are very different. Different enough that you can have a Toro dealer that also handles eXmark to fill out their model lineup or vice versa. Between the two, you pretty much have all your bases covered as far as commercial and consumer walks, mid
    Mounts, front mounts, stand ons, consumer handhelds, and a host of accessories to boot.

I'm just waiting for Toro to acquire a handheld company like Tanaka, Maruyama, or another of these up and coming companies. With all of the consolidation going on these days, it's only a matter of time.