I wont compete

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grayghost_32, Apr 23, 2004.

1. grayghost_32

grayghost_32 LawnSite Member

Well this years bidding was educational.I learned when to say when.Last year my throat was cut,this year I was beheaded.I'm selling out see you in the equipment market place.Good Luck out there.LOL
  2. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man I'm sorry to hear that you have to quit.
  3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

why are you running into problems specifically?
  4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I think what would really help our market is to educate the public about the risks of hiring uninsured scabs. Most homeowners don't realize that if anything happens to a person or property due to someone working on their yard they're responsible if the worker is uninsurred. I've been trying to inform everyone that calls me about a bid, and they are usually willing to pay the extra $5/wk since I am a little more expensive than most others. I just explain to them that I'm looking out for their best interests. Of course you're always going to run into those who only see the price, but at least they know the chances they're taking.
  5. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

WOrk it

I was not aware of if a person gets hurt on a persons property and they are not insured that the home owner is liable. Is that in all cases, how about this scenerio. If a person passes out from heat stroke on your property, is the home owner liable for that. If there are any exceptions to this law, please explain. Thanks
  6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

SCRUBS are NOT the problem! the big guys are killing the market for market share!
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

In most states the property owner carries the liability for events that take place on the property. There are exceptions, like criminal offenses, product liability or events that are considered an act of God. But, yes if an uninsured contractor like an lco is performing work on a property and someone is injured the liability will fall on the property owner.
  8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Hiring an uninsured contractor falls under negligence on the homeowners behalf. It's the same if you don't clear your walkways and/or steps of snow/ice and causes someone to slip and fall encouring injuries. There have even been cases of mailmen sueing homeowners for that very reason.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am sorry to hear that you are leaving. What are the specifics for leaving?
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

sorry to hear that.

On a lighter note I had a mexican guy stop me today as I was walking out from picking up a new blower,he says"I've been waiting for you"..........I'm thinking "nope I don't have any work for you"....................he says"These mowers are really nice,I like them" as he shows me that he has written Exmark lazer on a piece of paper.Then he asks"where do you get these? I have a big yard and I like these mowers"............ I hesitated.Then the truth comes out.........he says "I have some guys that rent an apartment from me and they do this stuff"................I'm thinking"Ya right and i'm your fairy godmother who is going to get you started in the lawncare business with your ten cousins"

I will still keep my customers because quality does count,but........It ain't all that easy right now,just have to be able to ride the wave until it breaks and all the wannabe's are gone.

Good luck in whatever you do next.