1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I won't work in my own neighborhood!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Logan's Landscaping, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Logan's Landscaping

Logan's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I see a lot of you talking about cutting your neighbors lawns and they look better then your own. Let me share a little story with you all. In my last house i was the 3ed person in a new neighborhood. I immediately regraded my yard ,brought in new topsoil (to cover the crap clay soil the builder left behind), and seeded my yard. Well needless to say i had the best yard around. I cut and bagged it weekly.When walking to mail box i would look for weeds and pull them daily. I did all my fertilizing and it looked great all the time.My neighbors started to ask me why there lawns did not look as mine.I told them the long process i went to and the time and effort i went through to keep it looking in top shape.So one of them told me he could not afford to do all that and but wanted me to work on his yard .Last fall i aerated seed fertilized and limed his yard.I came through this spring and did a pre-emergent and a weed control treatment. It was looking real nice by May of this year. Three more of my neighbor wanted the same thing. I told them the results would not be quite as good in the late spring as starting in the fall.I went ahead and put them on the same program.I was cutting 2 of them and the other 2 had there kids cutting them every 2 weeks and leaving large clumps of grass all over. None of them every watered there yards even though i told them they needed to.Well in July when all 4 of them had dry dirt lots and there lawns looked like crap i went to a block cookout at one of there houses. While i was there i was confronted by all 4 of them telling me that i did not do the same things for them that i did one my yard and they wanted there money back for the lawn program (not the cuts) .I told them that none of them wanted to do every thing i did for my lawn and that not watering there lawn and poor maintenance was to blame not me.Well none of them wanted to hear that and the 2 i was cutting told me not to cut them anymore. It made it real awkward to come and go from my home for me and my wife.I ended up only talking to one of my neighbors that i had never done any yard work for.He said that they all would talk about what a crook i was and that he should not talk to me .Well after a few months of not wanting to go outside and look at people staring at me, we decided to move.We were the 2ed people in our new neighborhood and i have started the process over here at my new home.I can tell you what ,I won't be working on anyones yards here .Nothing at all. I will smile be kind and be a good neighbor but its like a friend who's an accountant to me , He will give you some advice but he keeps his personal life ,out of his work life. Well i hope this never happens to any of you ......
  2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wow.i don't think i would have moved on account of them

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I don't work for friends,family, or neighbors because yes that has happened to me. No way I would have moved. I would have waited for them to grow a brain and then see how they act.
  4. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

yes i made a similar mistake early in the piece you live and learn i guess there is nothing more confronting than working for yourself you have to face your mistakes striaght away there is always something new to look at i must admit moving is pretty drastic should have stayed and gloated over your lawn:blob3:
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Some people cannot reason I work for a doctor the guys smart enough to get that title but he’s still an idiot. He has a lawn under some large maples asks me to seed it last year and I do I bring in soil and get him a lawn but make it clear to him with the trees there its always going to lose the water to the tree and the shade does not help so it will always thin out its a no win situation. Well this year he does not water and then demands I reseed so I slit seed it nothing fancy but was the cheaper way to go I did not even charge full price. He stops me all mad you charged I go yes I did he asks why!?! I go I do not warranty grass from the year before and he just could not let it go so I go look your the one that saved money on your water bill perhaps you should rethink that theory in the future but for now that charge stands have a nice day.

Now if he were next door that would be real ugly so no way do you work for neighbors. Hopefully you never need to move again for that reason I have seen a landscaper fight with his neighbors and end up selling his house before and it got real ugly. Picture 2 gay men with a daughter (don’t ask ) calling the landscaper a mommas boy and he in turn calling them the obvious names back which oddly enough did not seem to bother them since they were true :D needless to say I think the cops were called more then a dozen times the funny thing is before the 2 (gentlemen) inherited the house the landscaper next door use to do all sorts of things for that old lady that had lived there. Lot of good it did him.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

One of 10 commandments, never cut or work your own neighborhood. That is consequence when you commit sin... I have innumerous neighbors asking me to do lawn service for them every other week when they driving by mine I have to come up with different excuses and such cause I know what will happen IF something gone wrong and it always will no matter how pro you are!!!
    Yeah, a weekend barbeque party is a nightmare, cause they stab you in the back and all bull...breaks loose. If you do for free, they won't ***** a bit but once money is involved your name is like at ground zero.
  7. Logan's Landscaping

Logan's Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies guys.Let me clarify one thing.I did not move only because of them. When we moved in we only wanted to stay 3-5 years and move into a larger house.The housing market was booming and we sold our house in 6 hours for the time it hit the MLS listing at 6 am and it we had a contract on it by noon.By moving we had a house built that we love.I finally have a large 600 sq.ft. garage to store and work on my equipment a place to put my ice machine and a much larger driveway for my trucks and trailers. I would not have moved only because of them, but they did help speed up the process. Thanks Have a great weekend.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Strange we are doing just the opposite, we now have probably as many lawns as all the other cutters put together in my neighborhood. Since we have a lot of lawns together we mow at a low price. And since I live in the area I can watch for things such as insects, fungus, lack of watering and we tell them when the lawn need attention. I don't put any hard sell on aeration, fertilize, and we don't have any seeding situations. When I started the business 25 years ago I had about 90% of the market in my old neighboorhood, all within less than 2 miles of my house.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

It stinks that you had a situation like that. I know what you mean though about having to move because of neighbors. My wife and I almost did that about a month ago.
  10. JTW

JTW LawnSite Member

I just don't talk to my neighbors. :)