I work for free !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Attn: All I wanna start mowing lawns so I can make some money.

This is gonna be hard for you guys to grasp but If your new to this "Lawnboy game" plan on working your first year for free and I mean that literally.

I have exceeded all my Revenue and profit goals this year and you know what I'm still working for free.

Yea we can talk about cash flow and depreciation and margins but the reality is I am still working for free. My net profit might cover my investment in this business this year but it is still gonna be difficult.

So if you wanna get hot and sweaty and dirty and tired and sore and make $0.00 per hour then go buy a mower and a weed whacker and go mow some lawns.:blob2:

You guys wanna argue or brag then you don't have a grasp on business issues and I suggest you learn.

My very first lawn I mowed this year cost me $40,000 you got that kinda money to burn then I say mow some lawns. :confused:

And yes I know my costs and I knew it would be like this this year so don't give me a load of crap about needing to know my costs I know them very well thats why I am working for free.

2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

You should'nt fill up your gas tanks inside your enclosed trailer!

3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

Thank you for that thought provoking and well thought out response to my post.

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

You want ME to learn business issues, and you can't make a profit?

LMAO

Over 20 years in this biz, and I've never, NEVER had a negative week.

5. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

You did not understand the post did you !:rolleyes:

6. Mikes Lawn Landscape

from Texas

Elephantnest,

Since you have so much experience can you please explain break even analysis to us newer guys so we'll have a better grasp on it.

Thank You.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76636&perpage=10&highlight=mikes&pagenumber=2

Mike, you aren't whining, are you?

Hell, the way you dish out advice and put people down, I figured you were getting rich out there mowing lawns.

At the very least, I thought you'd been in business long enough to be dishing out the advice you were giving, especially in light of the way you did it.

You call my business practices arrogant. You call my pricing schemes "ridiculous". You tell me my people skills are lacking at best. And all the while you're busting your butt, just as I did my first year, to make absolutely nothing.

Had I realized you were in year one, your comments wouldn't have bothered me.

It sounds as if you're surprised at how hard you've worked and how little you've made?

Now honestly, was it part of the original game plan to work your butt off for an entire year to make ZILCH?

It wasn't for me, but maybe you were able to understand the costs of being in business before you were in business better than I was. I honestly expected to make money at this in year one. And I did. I made $56.06 last year. Looks like I might clear $25K this year if things go as forecast.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Uhhh...what are your costs, everything included......what do you need to make to get to that point......and then further, and more importantly, what do you need to make a profit above and beyond your break even point. That margin, let's just call profit margin. 8)

You tell us not to give you "a load of crap", you tell us to go get sweaty mowing and make nothing. And then you say if we disagree (argue), then we don't have a grasp on business issues. YET, You're the one working for less than peanuts, I make a nice little chunk of change every day, thank you. Mowing has gotten me to where I am today. Two nice vehicles, over $30,000 in equipment (I'm solo for the most part), my house is paid for...yada yada yada.

Yup, I have NO grasp on business issues.

9. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Break even analysis when I started.

Girlfreinds moms mower $0
    Freinds electric weedeater $0
    broom $0
    Old Mercury Marquis (paid for) $0

Total cost of equipment $0

Making copies of flyers on freinds copier $0

Distributing flyers on car windows during spare time when I wasn't doing anything else. $0

Total advertising cost $0

Gas, string, miscellaneous costs ~ $40

Income first month of mowing ~$375

Gross Profit (before taxes) first month of mowin ~$335

I have never not made a profit doing this. And, I have paid cash for all my equipment since I first started with the profits I made.

Now, you wanna start big, with a huge debt burden...ok, fine. That's one way of doing it. But, I've seen my fair share of Companies go out of business doing it that way. Also seen my fair share of companies do great with high initial debt.

So, your working for free your first year. With that debt burden you knew you would. I have never had the debt, and have never worked for free. That was my choice...and that is your choice.

What's your point?

10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mike, this is a green industry forum. If you're going to go trolling try a fishing forum.