I would like an opinoin here(cold feet)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnsonLawn, Mar 13, 2004.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I would like to get an opinion from all of you guys. I am currently working a full time job making about $36k a year and doing my business 3 days a week. I have been working 7 days a week for 3 years so my wife could go to school to become a RN. I have 3 children and my full time job has a benefit plan.The plan was to quit my full time job and go full time with the business when see graduated. Well, she finished school in January and has started working at a local hospital and gets paid well and has picked the benefits.Now the time has come to make my move. The problem I am having is I dont want to make the wrong decision about leaving my job and fall flat on my face. I currently have 26 reisdential customers and the phone is already ringing like crazy with new clients for this season. I had to give up work last year because I did not have enough time during the week to do it all and I hate to see that happen. I have been able to retain 90% of my original customers from my first year and have got many referals from them so I feel I am doing a good job. So should I take a chance and go for it or play it safe and say with the full time gig. Any opinions appreciated thanks.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

can you hire someone on to help out or do the work until the client base gets even bigger? This is a tough decision to make and I think that only you can answer it yourself. Make a list of pros, cons, your finanical requirements, family requirments, etc.

3. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

You are the only one that has an opinion that matters...some were born to work for someone else some can't business can make some people miserable

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

When I started this, my only thought was to make it work full time. It was never a question that I would leave my job and do this full time when the time came. I had it planned out for my third year and did it. And I made it work. If you are going to go full time, go at it full speed ahead. If you hesitate and do go into it with a dedication to make it work, it won't.

As for the decision to make the jump, that's on you. I have never regretted it.

5. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mtd, were you solo when you went full time or did you have employees? I really feel I can make this business work. I want to succeed but I also have a family to feed.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I had a partner, up until last year. We did the business part time for 2 years and grew as much as we could doing the business part time, then made the jump. Like I said, when I did it, I went balls out for it. We advertised non stop and did everything possible to get enough work to make it work. We had no employees while we worked together.Read about it here.

I know a lot of people will recommend having a helper while doing this part time, which I never understood or agreed with. That's kind of a half-assed way of making the jump, imo. (no offense). I'd rather take the chance, make the committment to making the thing work on my own.

I was solo last year, did about 75 lawns on average. That's the max I can do solo, any more than that and I'm hiring this year.

:D

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I too started out with a partner doing it parttime. We went full time after landing some big accounts and had no choice. We had to go full time in the business. Best damn thing we ever done. We are now maxed out with 3 employees. Some day when I get too old for the work I will start another crew or two.

8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

When I started my buisness I jumped into full time to start. When you dont have a regular job it's a big motivator to go out and get the work.

9. betterlawns

betterlawns LawnSite Member

I too was making around $36k w/ my employer, I was lucky to land a huge commercial account right off the bat. 2 months later after checks started coming in, I quit my fulltime job. Last summer I asked my partner to buy me out do to unhappines w/ his commitment. Long story short, things got ugly and I didnt get my fair share. With about 6k cash and some equipment I had to basically begin all over again w/ no clientale. Good to report things are looking very good. This business is all about commitment and parttime will not be enough. I recommend holding off another month and if you continue to pick up more accounts then go for it.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I started this business, or should I say building of the business back when I was 15-16, and have built on it ever since. I don't think that I went full time into the business, without working at another job until 98.